XP home and Windows 2000 dual boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeviTay

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I have a computer with Windows XP home on it. BTW, I'm becoming less impressed with this OS every day.

Anyway, I'm taking Microsoft 2152 right now which of course makes use of Windows 2000, so I was going to add another hard drive to the system and put windows 2000 on that. I don't want to disrupt any of my personal things on the main drive.

Has anyone had issues with an installation of this type? Were you able to modify the BOOT.INI file in order to get the selection screen with the two OS's, or did you have to go into the BIOS every time you started up and select which drive to boot from? Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
Kevin

read through this.
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/2/10.asp

You need to install the OS's in the order in which they came out.

you would first need to install win2000 THEN install winxp on a separate logical drive.

update:
Windows XP Home doesn't care for dual boot systems but you can use a 3rd
Party boot manager to get around that. Using a second HDD for the other
OS is recomended. So you are good there.
It is possible though.

xp home/w2000 dual boot.

I've seen that link on Microsoft before, but I think it mostly talks about installing the OS's on separate partitions of the same physical drive (which I realize would mean installing them in order of release).

I'm wanting to install them on separate physical drives. Will they still adversely affect one another if I add windows 2000 into the mix in this way?

Thanks,
Kevin

if you have two hard drives it shoudl be ok, but liek it says, XP home doesn tlike dual boot.

to do it withough 3rd party help, Install win2000 first on to the first hard drive.

Then install XP on the second hard drive. When it boots it will ask you want OS you want to boot to.

if you try to install Win2000 second it will stop and tell you there is a newer OS installed and it will end.

Hey KeviTay,

There will be no problems with booting or your Operating
Systems conflicting with one another. All 3 of my computers
are multiboot and 2 have 2 Harddrives and atleast 2 Operating
Systems.

You will need to install Windows 2000 as said before and
then do a REPAIR install of Windows XP to save all the files,
settings, and programs on that harddrive.

This will be good practice for your field of study and this
should be second nature by the time your finished. The
Operating Systems will take care of the boot.ini. NOTE (
If it doesn't you can use the Windows XP disk to boot
into recovery mode and do a bootcfg /rebuild command
and this will detect and correct the boot.ini file)

Let us know if you are unsure about something.

Hi, thanks for your response to my post. Let me make sure I read your reply correctly.

I can install windows 2000 on my separate hard drive, and this will probably damage the master boot record on my XP drive. I would then need to go into the recovery console on the XP installation and use the command "FIXMBR" and then it should be ok?

Thanks again for your help.
Kevin

Yeah Kevitay,

I was going to tell you about the fixmbr in Recovery console.
This should work but if it doesn't just do the REPAIR install
of Windows XP and make sure to select the right partition
and everything will be fine.

what about VMware, can it be use with windows 2000 or could it work, for what KeviTay is trying to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom