XP Home OEM vs Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBlip

Solid State Member
For the past couple of months, I've been using my XP OS that came with my Gateway for my custom made computer. Well, every 30 days I have to reinstall it, so now I want to actaully get my own.

I'm a bit confused as whether I should get OEM or Retail. I know OEM is pretty much just the OS and thats it, and Retail comes with virus scan and all of that good stuff, but is there any other main difference besides the price? Also, say my motherboard fries, will I be able to load this onto another computer motherboard (refering to the BIOS), or do I have this incorrectly understood?

Thanks in advanced.

OEM is original equipment manufacturer which means it doesnt come in a fancy box that you would get when you buy xp at a retail store. The version of xp you have must be specific to the gateway. So during the install it will check the components of the computer to ensure thet it is gateway. I'm afraid you will have to just get another copy of xp.

MrBlip said:
Also, say my motherboard fries, will I be able to load this onto another computer motherboard (refering to the BIOS), or do I have this incorrectly understood?

This is where things get a little fuzzy. In the last 3 weeks, I have had 3 clients where with Intel Pentium 4 PCs. A Dell, HP and Acer. Both clients had to replace both the motherboard and cpu in order for me to repair the computer. Getting Socket 478 boards via my vendors are an impossibilly for me.
Orginally the Windows did not want to active. However after a 3 minute coversation explaining to them that
The cleint still wishes to continue using their PC. This is a repair, not a upgrade.
It's out side hardware warranty.
Componants are simulare specifications. Eg. Pentium 4 3.0 478 getting replaced by Pentium 4 3.0 LGA775
The license for Windows Xp is installed on ONE computer.

After that, Microsoft had no problems with activating the computer.
In one case, I did have to replace Motherboard, CPU and Ram as the orginal motherboard was Skt 478 with RAMBUS memory.
Again, you explain this to microsoft that this is a repair, and not an upgrade, and they don't have a problem.

The second you start replacing the entire PC, then they are going to want a new OEM version of windows xp. The problem with that is this.... how can Microsoft prove whether it's an whole new machine or just an upgrade?

OEM stickers are not that hard to peel off. About the only way proving that there is if you can see a CLONE PC with a name brand (DELL, HP, COMPAQ) OEM sticker on the side. But even there, with the some of the cases that the name brand put out, some times we have to replace the case.

So I know what it says on the EULA, however what happens in real life is a different case.

MrBlip said:
For the past couple of months, I've been using my XP OS that came with my Gateway for my custom made computer. Well, every 30 days I have to reinstall it, so now I want to actaully get my own.

Call up Microsoft to activate your computer.
Explain to them the following :-
* That this is not the first time you have activated this product.
* The orginal motherboard had fried. There is no warranty on this machine. Replaced it with simulare parts as close as possible to the orginal.
* And you only have this copy of Windows Xp installed on ONE PC.

Sorry for not posting it as clearly, I'll try and clarify this...

My other computer, the Gateway one, I still use. In fact, I'm using it to post this right now. My custom made computer doesn't have internet yet, so I can't really post from that one...

I'm using the OS CD that came with the Gateway on my fully custom made computer, but I'm getting tired of having to reload windows every 30 days, so I'm going to go out and buy a brand new version. My biggest question with this is if my MB fries on my custom computer, will I still be able to use that same copy of Windows XP, or will I have to go out and buy another copy?

And what's the difference between OEM and Retail versions of Windows XP? I guess the question is Retail version worth the $200 or should I just buy the OEM version for only $80?

I hope this cleared things up a bit...Either that or I missunderstood Harpers post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom