XP Home Edition upgrade error

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigclaussen

Beta member
I recently tried to update my dad's computer from XP home edition 5.1.2600 service pack 2 to the service pack 3 via the windows automatic update.

The update failed. I don't exactly remember why it said it failed. I'm not concerned about that just right now. Now with the service pack 2 restored (supposedly to normal) I can't get my internet to work.

I have a datacard with Alltel as my ISP. When I connect with the Alltel datacard everything runs as it should. The program says I'm connected properly and I have a good 3 out of 4 bars as a signal.
But when I load up internet explorer. It goes to the Diagnose Connections Problem page.
I've tried all the basic fixs with IE tools window. I've even called Alltel, and they claim the datacard is working properly (I'm using it now on another computer). They says it's the computer at fault.

For some reason after the failed Service pack update the puter won't recognized my internet connection.
Any help appreciated.

System info

Windows XP Home Edition
5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
Dell Dimension 8250 X86-based PC Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7GenuineIntel ~2386 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A03, 2/24/2003
SMBIOS version 2.3
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total Physical Memory 512 MB
Available Physical Memory 238.25 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96GB
Page File Space 1.22GB

Thanks for the replies guys, and sorry for the delay getting back to ya. But no luck!
Is there anyway to get a Service Pack 3 update free via disk rather than download?
I've even tried to do system restore. It goes through with it, but at the end of the system restore I get a message stating that the puter can't restore the previous point no mater what date I ask. What gives??

Again thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom