xp home

Status
Not open for further replies.

priapoconstante

Solid State Member
Hi everyone.
I have a compaq presario laptop 17xl570, pentium III 800 Mhz, 60 G hard drive, and 256 MB RAM, windows ME OS.
I'd like to upgrade to windows XP home edition, and it seems like I have two options: upgrading windows ME to XP home edition, or removing completely windows ME, and installing XP.
I don't know what would be the best thing to do. By the way, I have this trojan horse that I haven't been able to remove with webroot spy sweeper, spyware doctor, and spyware blaster, and spybot search and destroy.
I have McAfee antivirus subscription for one year.
My question is: If I format the hard drive, is there any chance I could get rid of the trojan horse?
On the other hand, if I format the hard drive, do I loose the subscription to McAfee, since I have to erase also all the components of Mcafee files?
I'm thinking in formatting the hard drive in an attempt to erase everything (since I have to uninstall windows Me, anyway), so I can install XP
I'm also upgrading RAM memory to 512 MB, by the way.
I would appreciate all answers.

ok yes formating will remove the trojan
i wood format not install over ME nice fresh start
and about ur subscription for one year do u hav a CD key?

Actually, I don't remember if I have it or not. I had a problem with the hard disk 2 months ago, so I changed it, and had to install an incomplete version of windows ME sent by Compaq. This version gives me a component of McAfee, but obviosly I had to renew it, 'cause I think the gave me the version that came with windows Me, so I did it by the internet, and they didn't send me any disk, since I chose to update by the net (although it was at the same price, I never thought to ask for the disk 'cause at that very moment I never thought to change to XP ) and obviously I wanted to start using the internet, so I didn't want to wait for the disk.
Thank you for answering so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom