XP freezes on everybootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

97lt2959

In Runtime
Hey all,

This one's been puzzling me for ages now.

I have windows xp sp2 with all the hotfixes etc.

My pc is set to bootup at 8.30am everyday and check for virus's etc, then my website goes live at 9am

However recently it jsut doesnt boot, it get to the windows xp screen or just a little further than that then it freezes.

I have to the manually press the reset button and it loads fine.

It always seem to be from a coldstart. No idea whats causing the problems.

I have reformated tons of times. I also remove my usb hard drive and usb finger print logon before i switch the pc off at night thinking this could be the problem.

Any Ideas how I would find out whats up, event logs dont show much and certainly nothing to indicate a problem.

Ok i can easily remove the usb stuff - so theres that out the winda (so to speak)

The only other thing that I have added is the wireless network card you rekon that could be it? (I will try and remove it later)

xx

have you tried to start the computer manually (w/o a virus scan)? Your processor may not be able to handle that much processes at once

Yep:) I dont have the virus stuff installed (after the reformat)

So its just apache and the normal xp stuff on there....

Give me 30 mins and ill come back to you to see if normal boot works....It should produce the same result as its just the bios switching the pc on via the RTC Wake function....

Thanks for all your help :)

Ok it worked fine....switched off and shutdown....switched on...seems to be fine....

The problem occurs after the bios has finished POST and has started to load the OS.

???

Boot into safe mode, run CHKDSK and also keep your fragmentation levels under check. Reular defragmentation may prevent your system from certain kind of boot problems.

ahhh CHKDSK didnt think of that...theres hardly any fragmentation levels they is all low :)

Ill let you know how I get on :)

xx

Also right click on My Computer, go to Manage, then event viewer and look in the system and application area for any items with red x's or yellow exclamation marks.

Hey all

Thanks for all your responses,

The problem has now resolved itsself.

I now unplug everything out of the usb slots at night when it shutsdown, and it loads up fine.

But now I cant share my external hard drive cause I have to unplug it!

Blooming windows!

The only thing I can see in the event log is driver logging =1 (thats for the finger print reader)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom