XP Error driving me nutz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosox3

Baseband Member
I ended up getting this error:
missing or corrupt windows\system32\config\system

it says to insert the original boot disc and repair....but I bought this computer with xp pro already installed on it..so I dont have this boot disc.

is there another way?

thanks

Sounds like another instance that AOL fubared a system.

Also just cause you bought the system with XP already installed doesnt mean jack. I bought my system with XP installed and i still got a Disc with XP on it. If you didnt contact the manufacturer and request a disc. It might cost you a couple fo $$ but you still can get one.

Other than that go into Safe Mode and try to delete AOL. If the system is booting.

I have fixed a lot of computers lately because of aol with this error message.

the root seems to be people get free aol and then when it expire, they try to use another name to get more free months and then aol seems purposely strip xp files

you have to run an xp repair

warez monster, save me some typing willl you?

Insert the XP CD. Hit the button when it says hit any key to boot....

Let the setup files load. From there it will ask if you want to install XP or use Recovery Console. Use teh Install Method.

It will then proceed to ask you if you want to agree with the EULA. Hit F8.

After that it will detect XP on your system already. There it will ask if you want to do a Repair or a fresh install. Hit R to start a repair on your XP.

the system only boots up and then goes to a black screen that says the error and how I need to insert the disc..to repair it.

I think this prob started when i was running a windows update..and while it was installing...the machine restarted before it was finished.

Is there anyway to repair this problem without having the actual disc?

No. You need the XP Disc in order to do a repair or even re-install.

Make sure you have no CD's in the drive when you boot. From there go to your BIOS and make sure you have it set to boot from CD than HDD. Maybe there is a CD in the drive that is causing a issue.

since I dont have the cd...will any xp pro cd work?
I can always try to borrow one from somebody here at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom