XP corrupt, cannot even make directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haruka

Beta member
My VAIO PC corrupted and I use the method by Microsoft and many sites - i.e. booting via XP CD and type 'r' for Restore Console. When the C:\ command prompt shows, I found I cannot dir, dir/w, cd or mkdir.

Also, my PC has 2 partitions - C about 20G and D about 100G. I tried to use the VAIO recovery disc and supposingly it can only restore the C drive. But the disc can only detect the total hard drive 120G.

I can do nothing so welcome any help pleeeeease, thanks very very much.

Hello,

The Recovery Console cant do those commands. There is only a specific list of commands it can do. To find out type Help.

How did it corrupt? What happened when it got corrupted? What are you trying to do format and reinstall or trying to get back this install?

You gave us no real direction on what you want to do. Need some input.

Cheers,
Mak

It suddenly crashed and show the message "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" upon switch on.

Then I tried use Norton Go back to 'return' to 3-day-ago but still the same.

Then I tried using the VAIO recovery disc but it cannot detect I have 2 partitioned discs C&D and said I can reinstall the XP but will erase all data on C. I quit.

Then I insert the XP CD#1, boot using it, and see it asked me to type "r" for activating Restore Console (or Enter to go to the XP install mode).

After pressing "r", it shows a command prompt C:. I know a bit about command prompt and I noticed that when I typed dir/w, it showed nothing.
So I tried chkdsk /r and then the checking start with the % counting.
At 31%, it stopped and said something like disc damaged and cannot proceed etc.

Then I search internet again (until I can get another laptop) and found the Microsoft website or others. They said under the C:>/ prompt after the XP CD with restore console, I can type line by line to mkdir a temp folder and copy some system files from windows directory. That's when I confirm that I cannot mkdir. And with further try like cd, dir, md, the PC said "Access denied".

So from now on. Whenever I turn on the PC, it will ask me to backup immediately as there is a likely disc error. Choose F1 to proceed and F2 to setup. F2 will prompt me to the BIOS screen. I see the primary harddisk is there, no primary slave (or "Auto"). I know nothing about these BIOS so I didn't change anything.

Here are about the history.

Thank you very very much.

You'll need a full copy of XP to reinstall Windows if you want preserve your D: drive and all its data. All the VAIO recovery disc will do is rewrite the hard drive back to the factory state.

Hello,

You Hard Drive is corrupted. There is nothing you can do but backup. If the check disk stopped at 31% and said there was disk damage there is nothing you can do but backup and get a new hard drive.

By you trying to force the system to reboot the disk all you will do is cause more data corruption and cause the disk to fail permantely and possibly lose all yoru data.

Reinstalling windows like Kurrent is not advised as the C:\ drive where windows is already installed is a bad sector on the drive. Which will only cause the install to fail.

Take out the drive and put it in a external enclosure and get your data off of the D: partition. Get a new drive and install Widnows on that and then put your data back on.

Cheers,
Mak

Can I buy a new hard disc connectable by USB, then install the XP onto it?

Then how can I "connect" to the corrupt VAIO hard disk to backup? Since the hard disk is pre-installed and included when I purchased the whole set of VAIO desktop. In this way, can it be still recognizable with the original C and D drive?

Then in general - may I ask how long is the life of a hard drive? Mine is about 6 years so is it normal?

Thank you very much for your reply and advice.

Hello,

Windows does not take kindly to installing on a USB Device. It can be done but it is much trickier than just inserting the disk and installing.

Hard Drive lives can vary. I have mine for 6 years now and they are still good. It all depends. If you get some viruses and other things that can wear on their life along with the heat and many other factors.

As for how to hook it up. I would say take the disk out of the PC. Then connect it to another PC via a external enclosure.

Cheers,
Mak

Use your recovery cd on a new hard drive. If your PC has room for two hard drives put the old drive in the spare slot. Otherwise put it in an external enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom