XP: Computer does nothing whenever I click a user account

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattl148

Baseband Member
I have this problem. I will be at the xp startup screen where you can select which user name you wish to log on with. I motion my mouse over a name and click and it does nothing.

There is nothing wrong with my mouse or anything, it just does nothing whenever i click a user account.

I have formatted and it still has not fixed this.

Does anyone have any solutions?

UPDATE

I Formatted it again but this time only created one user account so I wouldnt have to go through a log in screen. It logs into the desktop but locks up after a while. I have to ctrl alt del to unfreeze it. It seems like svhost.exe was taking up most of the memory. I have heard about this virus of some sort but wouldn't it eliminate it at every format if it was the problem?

just to clarify something here, when you say svhost.exe do you mean svchost.exe? I checked around on google and 4/5 sites reckoned it was a worm of some sort. I don't have it on this computer, and I'm running xp.
It's possible it's a virus. It's also possible that formatting your drive didn't get rid of it, either because you have two drives, you have another infected drive(e.g a flash drive), etc.

Easy way to check this, go thru the TF guide, and post your HijackThis log in the virus area.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/sp...2008-a-165828/

HijackThis Logs (analyze) - Computer Forums

scvhost.exe - scvhost - Process Information

SCVHost is the bad one. There are a couple under svchost but that is also a known good Windows Process.

6ymm2q.jpg

As you can see Vista has lots of them loaded. XP doesnt have this many but it does have some. It doesnt mean that you are infected right away. It jsut means that whatever is using those processes is what is eating up your resources.

It is used for netowrking and some Microsoft based apps. Check thru our updated guide just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom