XP CD to reformat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the wrong partition had been selected clicking the apply button would have wiped the XP primary. On a one drive system "/dev/hda1" would be the first where XP is installed. You would need to bring down the dropdown list found at the right to see "/dev/hda2" being the intended partition unless by chance you had installed Windows on the second not first partition.

The image seen on the screenshot page shows the up and down arrow button for the drive/partition selector seen on the right side of the menu bar.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screens/gparted_1_big.jpg

funnily enough, I actually did format the first partition of my hardrive. But I had installed XP on the second partition. So, since I have XP installed on the second partiton and I formatted the first partition can I still use the "fix" commands and it will boot properly?

Go into the Recovery Console with the XP CD. Type in fixboot and fixmbr in that order. If you can get into your XP install. If you can this should fix your booting issues.

ok, so I typed those in and now it is saying that it is missing its ntldr.. Is this going to keep happening everytime i type in a newfix with the recovery console I will end up needing something else or is there a light at the end ?
Also, is there a website that has a list of commands for the help console and what they do so i can reference it.

oh mercy me..
soo i found a fix for my previous post .. I entered copy i386\ntldr c;\
then i entered copy i386\ntldr c;\ ..and reboooted.
It now says " <windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing. please copy the file.

What have I done? Do I just need to reformat my whole hd and reinstall my xp fresh or is there a way to fix it through console commands?

p.s you guys are awesome for helping me out so much. i truly appreciate it.

hey everyone, I would like to thank you all so much for being so helpful with my windos problems these past few days. Secondly, I would like to announce the the problem has been cured. I corrected my boot.ini and it booted up to my XP. Thank you guys again for all of yur help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom