XP backup operator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idunno

Beta member
hey everybody..i'm a noob here and i want to know something. A friend of mine told me about backup operator accounts that have been programmed for XP. For example, if the main administrator has forgotten his password or isn't available, then there is an alternate way to log in from the blue logon screen using an account called "test" which also has admistrator capabilities but requires no password.

Is this true?? How is it possible?? I would appreciate the help.

I have never heard of this. I think either you misunderstood your friend or he is really confused. winXP has a hidden account labeled "Administrator" which has full administrative privledges. this can be access by booting into safe mode.

FYI a backup operator is someone who has access to microsoft Backup. this just means they can create or restore backups. this is a simple backup program built into winXP and win2K. more info:

http://www.windows-expert.net/Common/en/SecurityReference/DomainLocalGroup-BackupOperators.asp

Yea... there is a hidden account called "administrator" and defaultly there is no password needed for that unless someone has created a password for them.
If there is such a hidden user called "test" then that is definitley created by someone else and isnt part of the original XP setup.

Another way to access administrator is Press alt+ctrl+del twice and type adminstrator as the user name and (if not set) no password for password

there is a user group on xp named back up operators. look at the group descriptions and hopefully that will answer ur question. as for the hidden account i dont believe it exists. however i did find an account for microsoft to get into my pc as part of their "help" service that needless to say got deleted as soon as i stumbled upon it. go into computer management and local users and groups, this is on xp pro so as for other os's i dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom