XP Back to Win98 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2006, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default XP Back to Win98

Hi to all.. i'm new here.. i was wondering if you people could help me. I’m a Windows 98se user, I’m trying to gather information on Windows XP before I change my operating system. And I have questions regarding reinstalling my operating system.

First question, Is it true that windows XP changes the partition of your HD from FAT32 to NTFS upon installation? If so. I saw a friend of mine trying to partition it back to FAT32 but wasn’t able to do so, why?

2nd if this is so, and I decided to go back to window 98, Is there a way to partition it back again? How?

That’s all for now and I hope you guys can help me. Thanks in advance..

Old 01-20-2006, 02:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

The Windows XP upgrade does not automaticaly change your file system to NTFS you the user most invoke this action during the setup. So to answer your first question..no.

If you decide during the install or after to convert to NTFS (HIGHLY reccomended!!) and want to re-install Windows 98 you can easily reformat the drive back to FAT32 and start over. You are not ever locked into any one file system per say..although once you choose one this will determine compatibility with other OS's.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default What to do

My friend and i tried to repartition back his hard drive but it didn't work, everytime we use a boot disk and start using win98se fdisk.exe it gives an error that the drive have been partition by a newer program,

What should we do?
Closed Thread