XP 64 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampire_Slayer

In Runtime
XP 64 is a beta at the moment, and I would like to know if it is stable? Is it identical to the old version but with 64 capabilities? Does it have sp2? Will the beta receive updates on a regular basis? I got my computer up and running, and now it needs an OS, so I get the choice of downloading xp64, downloading linux, or going out and buying the regular xp. I would PREFER to have windows btw because it makes getting programs like games to work on it a lot less of a headache since all of them are made for windows and there are only a few linux made games, if any.

Nvm I don't think they are letting you download windows xp 64 beta anymore............All it does now is say the following:

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Release Candidate 2 Customer Preview Program
Updated: March 25, 2005

The Customer Preview Program for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Release Candidate 2 (RC2) is now closed.

While you can no longer register to receive the Customer Preview Program Kit or the trial downloadable software for RC2, we expect the full-release version of the preview kit and the downloadable trial software to be available soon.

Should I just go buy xp, and then trade it to MS for the 64 version when it comes out? I read this:

Microsoft also promised that it would let customers trade-in licenses for the 32-bit version of the operating systems for 64-bit editions when the operating systems go final in the first half of 2005.

So microsoft is really going to let people trade in old xp for x64? Just doesn't seem like microsoft......

I wouldn't get it. At least not yet. I used to use Win XP 64 BIT for my A64 3200+ over a year ago (just to check it out) and, woah, it couldn't run almost any 32 BIT application (couldn't play most of my games...). There is bunch of software for it but [almost] anything would have to be recomplied to work on it.

*Not Yet*

I would let Win XP 64 stay on the market for a while, many manufactures have to upgrade their drivers and software before they will work with Win XP 64. Once the updated software becomes available then I would consider switching.

-GrayWolf

Is Win XP 64 available to buy. My workmate says it's out, I say it's only on beta download for US only. You can not buy it.

zak1976 said:
Is Win XP 64 available to buy. My workmate says it's out, I say it's only on beta download for US only. You can not buy it.
You're contradicting yourself.

No, I'm not.
There is a huge difference between being out, ie being commercially released for sale, and being a beta copy.
It was a simple question, IS IT AVAILABLE TO BUY???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom