XP 64 bit edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MirzaG

Baseband Member
What do you think when should one change to 64 bit? Are there enough 64 bit programs and drivers?

Warning: if you switch to XP 64-bit, you will NOT be able to revert back!

Personally, i'm going to wait before i buy any 64-bit Windows OS. XP works just fine the way it is for now. :)

Um, yes you can go back. I have an acer 1522LMI XPP laptop that I installed a fresh copy of XP Pro 64-bit. I didn't like it so I put in my windows XP Pro 32-bit cd booted and did a new install... smooth like butter no problems at all...

For me it just wasn't worth the trouble, as I didn't want to have to look for drivers for everything here at work...

I would wait until Vista then make the transition.

you can, but you are not allowed too. when you install 64 bit, you forfeit your copy of regular XP

Says who you still have your old 32 copy your old cd key your old everything. Using a x64 disc and installing it doesn't mean you can't use your 32 disc.

I swear. we don't know anything around here

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119373,pg,2,00.asp

and this wasn't even the article that I was really looking for

For people who do want to migrate to XP X64 when it ships, Microsoft plans to offer a Technology Exchange Program that will let customers who bought 64-bit PCs with Windows XP Pro swap that OS for XP X64. Details are still in flux, but Microsoft's Marr says the company intends to supply new Product Keys with the new OS and then deactivate the 32-bit Product Keys.

Note, though, that you will not be able to upgrade an XP Pro PC to XP X64: You can acquire XP X64 only as a clean install, which entails backing up your existing data, installing the OS from scratch, and then reinstalling your apps

that is if you sent M$ your copy to trade in or Migrate up to 64bit. But if you purchased your copy or acquired a copy without the Technology Upgrade from M$ then you sure as S*** can reinstall... and also guess what.... I would almost bet you a dollar that you can reinstall the 32bit OS with your cd key and it will work just fine...

that's why I said this. you are also not allowed to run a dual boot system with it and XP. But i'm sure that people do

EricB said:
you can, but you are not allowed too. when you install 64 bit, you forfeit your copy of regular XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom