XP and 4GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
The problem lies with how Windows XP allocates physical address space for devices. As you all know, XP is a 32-bit Operating System and has a total of 4gb memory space. Hardware devices will take I/O address resources from this 4GB. For Example, the 3.75gb~4.00gb (256mb) memory space is reserved for I/O APIC and BIOS EPROM; 3.50gb~3.75gb is reserved for configuration-space memory-mapping access for PCI Express, 3.25gb~-3.50gb is reserved for PCI Bridge devices such as the IDE Controller, USB Devices, and Onboard audio. When you have a PCI Express graphics card with 256mb of ram, 3gb~3.25gb will be allocated to the first PCI Express graphics card. A second PCI-E card would take another 256mb in the 2.75gb~out of 4gb of memory available for Windows applications. Memory remapping could be a solution, but theres a performance cost and some drivers might fail with the physical address extension enabled. The easy way around this is Windows XP 64-bit OS.

ya im getting the 64 bit version for my second comp running an athlon 64 so i wonder. but i only have 1 gig of ram. no need for more right now until vista and then vista will support much more

that pretty much explain why my computer got much slower when
I upgraded my ram.

the problem with 64 bit windows is... A lot of stuff don't work with it.

I want to edit video with it, but it won't recognize my hardware encoder card for one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom