XP 32 or 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacooler

Baseband Member
I'm building a new system tomorrow (intel dual core 2gigs ram, pretty nice) and will be using it for a lot of dreamweaver, firefox(20-30 tabs), photoshop, illustrator, excel and am wondering if I should just use XP 32bit or move to the 64bit version.

Will 64bit help me at all?

What special things would I need to do if I decide to go with the 64bit version? Driver issues?

Thanks.

no it wont really help you unless you can find 64 bit versions of the programs your going to use if u cant windows will use the WoW32 basically an emulator of a 32 bit system therefore not giving an extra advantage at all

also sorry i didnt see the thing about drivers, yes drivers will be an issue, you need to find 64 bit drivers as well to interface with the 64bit windows, those are hard to find/non existant for some products, stick with xp 32 bit

Um, yeah it could. Looking at what he will be using it for, with the exception of firefox, most programs he is looking at have 64bit version. Photoshop, Adobe, many many modeling and rendering programs. It depends on how professional you are talking as far as graphics. Not sure about dreamweaver, though.l Now as far as graphic cards... are you using a standard card or professional development card? Really, to give you a acurate answer to your question need to know how professional you are going. A good graphic design card can run all the way upto almost $3000. That is video card, only.

yea i didnt say it wouldnt work i said if he could find 64 bit ver. i didnt know if it had any if they do then yea by all means go for it but if they dont then its almost pointless

The drivers arent that hard to find... all nvidia and Logitech, and many other business have a 64 bit driver for most of their products- all of their new ones. I tried it for a while (trial) and it wasn't as bad as everyone makes it sound, they never tried it just heard bad things about it.

But don't get 64bit. Your dual core will be good enough, and you may experience some problems with program compatibility, so you could just avoid that entirely.

I'm currently using x64 with no problems, all programs work fine, some are on wow, and some aren't, system's so fast you can't tell.
I'm also SLI with no problems.
Just make sure you get all the updates from M$, they've already ironed out most of the kinks.
The only concern I'd have is; isn't the core 2 duo architecture 32bit with two "channels", and not a true 64bit proc.?
Don't know if x64 will like that. Or am I mistaken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom