XP or 2k for reliability/uptime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borgmeister

Baseband Member
I am considering all my options at the moment, i am gonna have a stand alone box for bittorrent, after the initial install, it will have no keyboard/mouse/monitor, so remote admin si the key here. I am very confortable with Windows, and remote desktop/terminal services, i was considering linux, but x11 forwarding is patchy at bet, so i thought it may be better to go windows. Now, all i need to no, from experience, xp or 2k

Thanks in advance

it's all in how you have it configured...
If you turn off auto updates in XP and swtich it back to win2k look a like, then you can get away with that... but win2k will do it better by default. The only trouble with win2k is that even though it will run for ever, it's not the best for easy remote access. Where XP offeres it all out of the box, (not all, but pretty close) win2k needs added software...
I prefer Win2k, and still use it without issue for most things. One machine has been up for ever 2 months without any issues...
Good luck to you...

Hmm, what is the additonal software i need. I hear alot of people at work swear by 2k, i love XP for alround support, but the theme is a lean 2k style. I will mainly be connecting to it via remote desktop in xp, just to get more torrents going, and from my linux laptop, using Gnome Remote desktop client, a GUI extension to rdesktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom