Xcopy & Long File Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

philb101

In Runtime
On a Clients system running XP Pro, I want to back up on a daily basis from the RAID system to the Mail Server
I intended using xcopy & creating as batch file but with the command line as follows

"xcopy/s/y \\server\xxx users c:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Thursday Backup"
the message "Invalid number of parameters" is displayed

Is the problem with my syntax or can anyone through any light on the problem

Thanks

xcopy /e/s \\tplfps001\Dshares\WABCO\ISO9000\DAS\*.* \\hebfps001\Gshares\DAS

here is an example I use

philb101 said:
On a Clients system running XP Pro, I want to back up on a daily basis from the RAID system to the Mail Server
I intended using xcopy & creating as batch file but with the command line as follows

"xcopy/s/y \\server\xxx users c:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Thursday Backup"
the message "Invalid number of parameters" is displayed

Is the problem with my syntax or can anyone through any light on the problem

Thanks

The name is to long..must keep it at 8 characters with bat files/xcopy commands. Here is a quick on the fly script I wrote to backup a users my documents folder running XP.

xcopy C:\Docume~1\smithr\mydocu~1\*.* u:\%username%\mydocu~1\*.* /E /C /Y /M
cd\
exit

All I am doing there is backing up the users My Documents folder to a network share which pulls the users name from the profile via the %username% donation.

Interesting War I didnt know you could use an outright UNC path..**** just when you think you know so much in the inudstry..haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom