X:windows system32 cmd exe Pop up problem

krazyq

krazy Techie
Alright guys, I"m having a really weird problem.
This hp mini's keyboard wasn't working even after i plugged a usb keyboard it wouldn't work.
I was thinking software and it needs to be re imaged.
I ran the win7 cd installation and before the setup starts a grey screen pops up with cmd prompt
X:windows system32 cmd exe
i can't type anything!

I tried loading the hp minimized recovery option, it formatted the drive but same pop up right after
X:windows system32 cmd exe

What's going on
is this a hdd or ram issue?
it use to boot into the log in screen but the keys wouldn't work....the ext keyboard would only work on the bios screen...
this is weird...any suggestions

So when you reboot, you dont have the ability to hit F8 during the boot process to get the Advanced Boot Menu?

Unless you have the Windows 7 OEM DVD that came with the HP Mini, which would have to of been order separately since they did not and have not bundled media with laptops for several years now, then most likely your not going to get the disk to work properly. It is most like the Recovery Disks, which you would need to know if you have access to the Recovery Partition on the drive.

F8 won't work . I even tried using the hp minimized recovery which I've used many times before. Right after it erases the drive it gets to this screen. We have a win 7 DVD we use to put ppls original license back but it won't even let me goto the recovery options

We have a win 7 DVD we use to put ppls original license back but it won't even let me goto the recovery options

To me what your trying to do doesn't sound right by chance, if you do indeed have a windows 7 oem home or pro disk, make sure that the hp windows 7 key is not a upgrade product key.
Start the installation process again, and if you can use windows 7 usb tool, and format your hdd using a full clean installation.
Next, when your computer reboots and begins to install make sure it goes all the way through, next when in the installation is almost done and gives you the option to put in the product key do so.
Once its done and boots for the first time, make sure you can activate it by "phone method" and verify to MS thats it being used for one pc and is a HP machine.
You shouldn't have any more issues if they activate it again through their servers.

One thing, that might be stopping you, you could be installing from a wrong directory by looking at your previous post.
Let us know what happens later on. :)

Alright let me try explaining this better
I've re-imaged hundreds of pc's...
This is something new to me

1- Tried loading up win7 installation, it didn't even get there.
when it first asks press key to boot, etc
then it gives you the win7 setup option....thats it!
it wont go futher
that's when the pop up comes, a grey screen, with the cmd prmpt

So option 2
Just use the hp recovery option like I have many times before for other hp laptops.
I usually select minimized recovery, it deleted everything, formatted the drive, then bam, the pop up comes up again.

I tried using a win xp cd- it didn't even get to the part to install, failed with some hard drive issue.
Ran HDD test, it passed
Any clues?
I know how to install an OS
If I get time tomorrow i'm just gonna pull apart the whole netbook to get to the hdd and try a different one, these are the annoying ones.

Alright let me try explaining this better
I've re-imaged hundreds of pc's...
This is something new to me

1- Tried loading up win7 installation, it didn't even get there.
when it first asks press key to boot, etc
then it gives you the win7 setup option....thats it!
it wont go futher
that's when the pop up comes, a grey screen, with the cmd prmpt

So option 2
Just use the hp recovery option like I have many times before for other hp laptops.
I usually select minimized recovery, it deleted everything, formatted the drive, then bam, the pop up comes up again.

I tried using a win xp cd- it didn't even get to the part to install, failed with some hard drive issue.
Ran HDD test, it passed
Any clues?
I know how to install an OS
If I get time tomorrow i'm just gonna pull apart the whole netbook to get to the hdd and try a different one, these are the annoying ones.

Hmm, whatever windows 7 installation dvd/image your using doesn't sound like its bootable.
IF you know how to access the boot menu with that laptop do so.
Microsoft Store Online
The next windows 7 dvd disc you get, make sure its stable and its not modified by any other third party.

Its going to install fine if your hdd is good, if not the windows 7 installation will pick up on it and stop the install until you fix it.

Thing is I've used this same CD plenty of times. The hp recovery should have at least worked or even the xpcd should have worked. Well only thing left is to try a diff hdd. Did enough googling and there were no solutions to this

Thing is I've used this same CD plenty of times. The hp recovery should have at least worked or even the xpcd should have worked. Well only thing left is to try a diff hdd. Did enough googling and there were no solutions to this

Well all I can tell you is this, if it shows up in bios fine and the laptop is able to see the capacity of the drive itself.
It might be that dvd drive on the laptop maybe shot, if thats the case you could try a external dvd usb drive and see if that works best.

Let me know what happens later on.

Well all I can tell you is this, if it shows up in bios fine and the laptop is able to see the capacity of the drive itself.
It might be that dvd drive on the laptop maybe shot, if thats the case you could try a external dvd usb drive and see if that works best.

Let me know what happens later on.

It's not the DVD drive...it can't be. I already mentioned how the hp recovery failed as well. That's partitioned in the drive . No CD used.

I'd probably lean towards HDD. Seen weird things happen with iffy drives when deploying images at work as well. Swapped out the drive, and image deployed fine.

Back
Top Bottom