wxp

Status
Not open for further replies.

louis

Solid State Member
hi guys

i had wxp on my system for a year ,i had to format the hd and i could not install wxp again.

i went back to wme ,when i install wxp it goes ok to boot up with 68miniutes left and then it stop responding so i reset then chose install wxp and it stop again.i had few copies of wxp it does the same with all of them.i get a massage "the hal.dll file curopt reinstall it"?where do i get hal file from.

i need your help please it is doing my head in coz is not logic .

thanks

regards

i've been browsing and this is what ive found...HAL.DLL is a key system file that governs just how your computer identifies and deals with all it's hardware.

in order to gain access to the harddrive (HD), you have to boot to "DOS", then go into the HD at C:\i386\drivers and copy the hal.dll file to the c:\windows\system32 folder.

reboot afterwards

Buttttt!!! If your HD is setup using NTFS (not FAT32)system, then you're stopped flat in your tracks, cuz there is no easy way to access your NTFS HD in DOS!

unless u do crazy crazy stuff, like take that HD out of the comp, then put it in another one as a slav, copy the file and put it back in :p ... ithink

thanks guys for your help

so if i format hd and start new setup then hal file will be created and i dont need to copy it to system folder.

i have full wxp cd.

thanks again

louis

OMG just yesterday i had a problem because "hal.dll" was corrupt, i just installed XP to a new directory, booted using it then copied its Hal.dll to the original XP - now i have a backup XP on my computer and i havent lost any settings

Possible Solution: From Mark L. Ferguson – Mircosoft MVP: You have Boot.INI trouble.
Boot from CD, and start the Recovery Console. Use the command 'type C:\boot.ini'

Save the file for backup, Identify your drives with the 'MAP' utility.

Compare the entries in the boot.ini [operating system] block, with the results you see from Map.
At this point you may see a way to hack boot.ini. You might try various edits from backup.
The utilities 'bootcfg', and 'fixboot' may help you do that.
ALSO:

Probably the ARC path in boot.ini is incorrect as it's trying to load XP
from the wrong partition. In Explorer, remove the read only attribute from boot.ini and edit the
partition number, save the file and reboot. If that doesn't work, try
another partition number.

BTW, don't muck around with hal.dll. The HAL is loaded depending on the type
of system you have. If you change it manually, you could easily end up with
an unbootable system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom