would like to break habit of logging in as admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfseals

Solid State Member
I've been running WinXP Pro for several years, and have been blissfully logging in as admin from day one. Since then, I've learned I should not be doing this for security purposes. Additionally, there is no real need for me to log in as admin at all, as I'm not really a power user. So once and for all, I'd like to break myself of the habit.
Probem is, I have everything configured exactly like I like it, and fear I will have to spend hours or days re-installing and reconfiguring all my programs and desktop, and moving files. I have never had a user account, and when I try to set one up, it's like re-installing the OS. I just get a generic desktop, and no access to my programs or files.

Is there a straightforward way to migrate over to a non-admin user account and move all of my programs and settings over as well?

Some programs will not work on an admin account, such as DOS programs.

To get those programs working again, go into the ADMIN account, find the program shortcuts, and drag them to the Limted account's documents folder.

When you log into the limited account, drag those icons to the desktop.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...cs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx?mfr=true

To copy a user profile

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

1. Open System in Control Panel.

2. On the Advanced tab, under User Profiles, click Settings.

3. Under Profiles stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to copy, and then click Copy To.

4. Type the location for the new profile, or click Browse to select the path.

5. To choose a new user, in the Copy To dialog box, click Change.

6. To start your search, in the Select User or Group dialog box, type the complete name of the user, group, or built-in security principle you are looking for, and then click OK.

Note

• To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

• To specify a built-in security principle, user, or group, in the Select User or Group dialog box, click Look For, and then click the object you want.

• To specify a domain to search, in the Select User or Group dialog box, click Look In, and then select the domain

• To further narrow your search, in the Select User or Group dialog box, click Advanced.

Thank you very much for the replies, esp the copy user profile idea, but I'm still stumped.

The copy user profile feature initially seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. However, it does not seem to allow the administrator's profile to be copied. (The line for that profile is greyed out).

Also, when I went to create a non-administrator user account, the system prompted me to enter another admin account. So I created 2 new accounts- one other admin and one non-admin.

Now I have 3 accounts total. I can no longer see the original admin account at log-in, but found I can access it by typing ctrl/alt/del twice.

But I'm still at square one. How to copy everything from the original admin account to one of my new accounts. And also, which of the 2 new accounts to copy to.

Just keep one limted account, and name it as your first name.

Copy everything from admin to that one account.

what you need to do is make a new account with admin rights, set it up exactly how you want it, then log back in the default admin account, make sure hidden files is checked, then copy the profile and set the permissions to everyone. that should be it

on the default admin acount, right click on my computer, click manage, add new user, make it a member of the administrators account then try it

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I've tried all of the above. IE: setting up a new account with admin rights, and making it a member of the default admin account (the one I'm currently using). But nothing so far will allow copying of the profile from the default admin account to any other account. (it's still greyed out). So perhaps for security purposes there is no way to copy the default admin profile?

sfseals said:
Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I've tried all of the above. IE: setting up a new account with admin rights, and making it a member of the default admin account (the one I'm currently using). But nothing so far will allow copying of the profile from the default admin account to any other account. (it's still greyed out). So perhaps for security purposes there is no way to copy the default admin profile?

you cannot copy to or from the admin account while it is in use. make a second admin account. login on the second admin. follow copy profile instructions.

if you copy the profile to c:\documents and settings\default user the profile will created for each new user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom