Would heat cause desktop to stop responding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrymnvette

In Runtime
I have a pretty new (6months) Dell GX520 and after running for about a day everything will stop responding. No programs will open unless I restart the computer and then they'll open fine. I took the cover off and the HD is warm to the touch.

Any ideas?

Well the HDD will always be warm to the touch. I think it has more to do with things youhave running or maybe even spyware/virus problems. Have you run any scans for these? also are you having problems coming out of Hibernation or sleep mode?

No, problems comiong out of sleep mode. I've scanned twice. I'll scan it again to make sure. Nothing has been found

Then it oculd be your CPU overheating but htat would be more of a shut down that freeze. what applications do you have running?

Only has two apps running. One is run from the server basically and uses almost 0 resources, the other is a signature pad that customers sign to get their orders. Both programs are on 5 identical machines.

No dust, the fan is spinning.

The computer is in a kind enclosed area with a 6ft flourescent light about 6 inches above it. It's a hotter than room temperature area. I'll put a thermometer in there to get the temp.

if its a p4 then over heating could be very likely. i saw 2 of those melt through the motherboard at my uncles office because the dell's didn't have proper cooling installed.

EDIT:
i just did a check with dell's website. they come with either Pentium4s, Pentium Ds, or Celeron cpus. all of those run hot..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom