Wot??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2005, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Wot???

Wot...if i am in ownership of the coa from buying it and my disc is destroyed it is not illegal to have a copy of it....geez thought this was a technical forum...u know nothing!!

Old 01-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via MSN to CntdwnToExtn

you can have 1 copy of the disk unless otherwise stated by the company who made it.

[110.7896] Getting up from chair
[112.8798] Walking to fridge
[118.5234] Opening Fridge
[119.1439] CntdwnToExtn panic - no beer: Fridge empty!

Old 01-25-2005, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

and you must own the original disk also, if you still have the original disk (even if it has been damaged somehow) you can have 1 backup copy, and use that if you need to
Old 01-25-2005, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

well, if you still have the original cd then you CAN get a backup or what not. Technically, you are NOT purchasing the CD and software, you are purchasing the rights to use it. Here is one example:

he Microsoft EULA requires that the same CD that was distributed with the COA be used to reinstall it. However, any XP CD of the same type may be used. An OEM CD for and OEM Product Key, a retail CD for a retail key, etc. Chances are these computers were preloaded from the factory and you need an OEM cd. Upgrade CD's cannot be used for a full reinstall. (Unless of course you installed Windows 98 first and then upgraded with a valid upgrade key).

So, you may wanna google this as there is some info you need to look into first. If you doubt that you can copy a CD (and depending on what kind and where you go the system, you MAY have to have the original cd to copy it legally, or you may not) you CAN copy your cd. Hell, microsoft even explains slipstreaming service packs, thus telling us how to create our own custom bootable installation cd's!
If you argue with an idiot he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread