workstation microsoft corporation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pspec

Baseband Member
Hi
on my laptop I'm running xp pro 32bit. When starting the unit it can take 10 minutes to start but if I go in to msconfig and take the tick out workstation microsoft corporation on the service tab. It take 1 min 10sec to start.
I have looked in to "workstation" and its "creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers. if this service is stopped, these connections will be unavailable. if this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start". So I'm not sure what to do as 10 mins to start is just to long and I don't want to mess up the network connections.

Thanks

Have you tried to see what happens to the network if you leave it off? What if you start up the network after Windows loads?

Unless you are doing file or print sharing within your local network, you don't need the workstation service.

Just leave it off and if you lose any functionality you had network wise, just turn it back on.

Hi
Turns on great with it left off but I can't get in to my shared folder and the shared printer which I do use. I tried makaveli's idea of turning it on after the laptop has booted and the workstation turns on with no problems. So that's one way around it but I could do with it all booting up in the first place. Any idea how I could achieve this

Thanks

What is it you are asking? How to speed up the boot with it enabled? Won't happen. Because it has to access and gain permissions from the network and the devices before your profile finishes to load. So you can not spped up the bot unless you do what i suggested. Leave it turned off then gain access to the network after it loads your profile.

Ok I now understand, so it's taking one min to boot and 9 min to connect to the router. So I'm thinking that there must be a problem at the router end or maybe some of the services the workstation needs are maybe booting after workstation instead of before. So I don't know if it would work but is there anyway to move the workstation down the msconfig list so it boots last to see if that would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom