Word Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
When I open Word, an older document appears without me selecting it. I have deleted the file(s) that I know of with the name it saves it as, deleted the recycle bin trash. I uninstalled Office 2002 and install 2003 Pro and it still appears. I made a new user, and it didnt appear. So I know the file is somewhere on the other user. Anyone see this before? XP Home.

1. Close Word.
2. Rename normal.dot to normal.old.
3. Open Word (it will create a new normal.dot).
4. If you had any customizations in the old normal.dot, you can copy them in using the Organizer.

Also try to go into your hard drive and go into program files/microsoft office/office 10 or 11/startup and delete any files in there.

I wouldn't necessarily randomly delete any files in the /startup directory. The only file that can cause this is normal.dot. Other templates residing in /startup may contain macros, styles, etc. that are needed by the user(s).

It is normal.dot that opens when Word opens a fresh document on startup. If there is garbage in it, then the garbage resides in normal.dot.

HeddaLora said:
I wouldn't necessarily randomly delete any files in the /startup directory. The only file that can cause this is normal.dot. Other templates residing in /startup may contain macros, styles, etc. that are needed by the user(s).

It is normal.dot that opens when Word opens a fresh document on startup. If there is garbage in it, then the garbage resides in normal.dot.

Clearing out the office startup folder will have office rebuild and default to a new normal.dot.Macro's should not exist yet for the user if it is a fresh install.A fresh install there should be nothing in the office startup folder.

I uninstalled 2002 and installed 2003 Pro. The startup folder is empty and the document still comes up. Has anyone heard of an office cleaner?

Doing a fresh install will not delete user-created templates which the user may have stored in the Startup folder. Deleting these can be disastrous unless they are backed up somewhere. These should *not* be deleted.

All that needs to be done is to delete (or rename) normal.dot. That's all. The other templates are not involved and should be left alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom