Word Question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Word Question

When I open Word, an older document appears without me selecting it. I have deleted the file(s) that I know of with the name it saves it as, deleted the recycle bin trash. I uninstalled Office 2002 and install 2003 Pro and it still appears. I made a new user, and it didnt appear. So I know the file is somewhere on the other user. Anyone see this before? XP Home.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

1. Close Word.
2. Rename normal.dot to normal.old.
3. Open Word (it will create a new normal.dot).
4. If you had any customizations in the old normal.dot, you can copy them in using the Organizer.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Also try to go into your hard drive and go into program files/microsoft office/office 10 or 11/startup and delete any files in there.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I wouldn't necessarily randomly delete any files in the /startup directory. The only file that can cause this is normal.dot. Other templates residing in /startup may contain macros, styles, etc. that are needed by the user(s).

It is normal.dot that opens when Word opens a fresh document on startup. If there is garbage in it, then the garbage resides in normal.dot.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Will give it a try..let you know tomorrow...thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

There was nothing in the folder, nothing at all. No hidden files either.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by HeddaLora
I wouldn't necessarily randomly delete any files in the /startup directory. The only file that can cause this is normal.dot. Other templates residing in /startup may contain macros, styles, etc. that are needed by the user(s).

It is normal.dot that opens when Word opens a fresh document on startup. If there is garbage in it, then the garbage resides in normal.dot.
Clearing out the office startup folder will have office rebuild and default to a new normal.dot.Macro's should not exist yet for the user if it is a fresh install.A fresh install there should be nothing in the office startup folder.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

I uninstalled 2002 and installed 2003 Pro. The startup folder is empty and the document still comes up. Has anyone heard of an office cleaner?
Old 04-14-2005, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Doing a fresh install will not delete user-created templates which the user may have stored in the Startup folder. Deleting these can be disastrous unless they are backed up somewhere. These should *not* be deleted.

All that needs to be done is to delete (or rename) normal.dot. That's all. The other templates are not involved and should be left alone.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well where is normal.dot? Tell me the exact path.