Word document data

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesss

Beta member
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so if you will... just go easy :omg:

I am in the process of collecting alot of data off many different turbines within a windfarm.
What i am planning to do with this data is to create a word document which will consist of a diagram of 50 identical icon's each of little turbines with their own specific number (the same as the actual number out in the field).Then, create a hyperlink on each icon/number leading to a corresponding file containing the collected data.

My problem is how would i send this set up via email so i can share my collected data with engineers and the like and also have it so its a read only file at the receiving end?

Is there a better way of setting out this data?:yum:

Any help is much appreciated:thumbsup:

This sounds like more of a hassle than anything. You have 50 turbines. So right there is going to make this document at least 5 pages long. That means you will have to find a way to get 10 images per page still, have the information you want still and links. So i think saying 5 pages will be short. It will have to be at least 10 pages if not longer. You would be much better off doing an excel spread sheet. Even a Powerpoint presentation.

There is no such thing as a read only file. There are so many ways to get around it. They could just copy the information and paste it to a new document. Gets right past your read only flag and they can do what they want with the information. They could take a screen shot of it and manipulate it with Photoshop. Sorry but if the information is viewed on another screen, it can be manipulated. Simple as that.

We have no idea what the data even looks like or anything. So we cant even begin to suggest if there is a beter way. It is like trying to fix your car without knowing the make, model and if there is even anything wrong with it.

If you emailed it out the recipients obviously wouldn't be able to modify your copy but other than that they would be able to do anything they want with their copy, as mak said.

Word documents are not the best tool for this job TBH and I would recommend looking into dynamic web content (such as php).

Hi all,
When talking about being read only i just meant so no one could adopt the set up i would create,i know you can manipulate any image/data on a computer screen.
After reading your comments i have decided to try using a web based system where i can publish such information with all links from the main page on sub pages.This way i could direct anyone who requires such info to my domain.
Thanks for your time,if anyone can direct me to any website building services that you think may suit my circumstances it would be much appreciated!!!!
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom