Word 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

damarkle

Solid State Member
I have no idea on what happened, one day I tried to use Word and it would not respond (blank screen of death), I've tried removing Office 2000, then reloading the program with the same results, I've downloaded all of the upgrades/patches, still with a dead word processor, It comes up with "Word not responding" message and then the box appears for sending the error message to Microsoft which has not come up with a fix to the problem, everything else in Office 2000 works with the exception of word, can anyone out there help me, please. My OS is XP Pro with all upgrades and patches.
Thanks Dave

you can try deleteing the normal.dot file that is one of the only files that by reinstalling office it doesnt change. What it is is the templete for the "blank page" when you first start up word where you can type a new document if that becomes currupted than reinstall word will do no good. do a search for normal.dot in xp go to start ..search ..allfilesand folders.. and make sure under advaced search options search sub folders hidden files and system folders are all checked than delete all instances you find of normal.dot and the go back in the msword it will automatically rebuild that templete file and see if that fixes your prob.

Go into your system information or even log.. look in Office applications, or something like that, and look for what dll is crashing it. My dad had a conlict with this in office as well. Sometimes, its as simple as an evil print driver.

Then, when you find what crashed it, go on a search on what the file is.

Better yet, send a picture of what the diagnostics in System information shows.

There was two normal.dot files that I deleted and then went back and reinstalled Office 2000, still didn't work. Still trying to get it back up and running, thanks for your help.
Dave

you mean by blank screen it just turns the screen black or white or has and blue screen error message on it or what?

The screen starts to open with the "Word logo" in the center of the page, then freezes up, none of the icons appear at the top of the page. Word 2000 will not open.
Dave

try going in the word from safe mode (restart computer tap f8 when it is restarting) if it does go in to word then tell us.

Well, I tried that with the same response. I'd even tried uninstalling Office 2000 and just reinstalled "Word" by it self to see if maybe the problem was with one of the updates/patches with one of the other Office products, but, it made no difference.
Dave

ok so if we have tried in safe mode that and still nogo that means that you dont have any programs or services conflicting with it. How long has it been doing it(like when was the last time you used msword sucessfully)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom