Wondering if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulquiorra Schiffer

In Runtime
It is normal that Ctrl + A (select all) works on almost everything except for renaming icons. When you right click an icon on Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, all letters will be automatically selected, but when you click so nothing is hilighted, you can't hold Ctrl + A to select all letters again. Sounds confusing, but does this happen to you too?

Edit: I just noticed that it will work if you view it as a list/details. So why don't the icons on your desktop or the icons (that you are viewing in icon form) allow you to do this?

Paton is right. It has been that way since Win3.11 for workgroups. Windows does not offer mass renaming by default.

Okay, but just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, here's a picture.

Not sure what you meant by mass, but I'm talking about typing Ctrl + A while renaming ONE file.

I am able to press Ctrl + A when renaming any of those files to the left, but on the right if I try it it just gives me that *ding* noise.
xc3pdd.jpg

You cant "rename" the date modified or the extension type. The date modified will adjust automatically when you modify the file. Meaning if you opened it in the appropriate application and made changes and saved it there. Teh file type can only be changed when you save it as a different file type using the above method to change the date modified.

So other than that i dont quite get what you are trying to say. Yes if you right click on a file, you can use Ctrl+A to change the NAME column only. It will select all characters.

I can use Ctrl+A to select all text when i use Thumbnail or Details. What you have to do is make sure that you highlight the icon first then right click and select rename. Then you can use the Ctrl+A method.

listview.png

List View

iconview.png

Icon view

detailsview.png

Details View

I think the problem is that you are not selecting or highlighting the file first before trying to rename it or mass rename by selecting all folders. Cause i can certainly do it with any view with no problems.

Than there is something up with your OS. Cause it can be done with any view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom