WMP 11 Problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default WMP 11 Problems

Hello,

I currently have WMP 10 (10.00.00.4036 to be exact) and I'm trying to upgrade to the WMP 11 on Windows XP. When I install WMP 11, I am only able to see the "mini" version of the player (picture attached to post). I don't get the full user interface that comes with WMP 11. Also, the WMP plugin doesn't show video in Firefox, only sound (I'm not sure if this is a separate problem).

I am using a work-issued machine, so I think there may have been some setting that disabled the full version, but I don't know where to look. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wmp10-mini.jpg (28.1 KB, 19 views)

Old 07-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: WMP 11 Problems

The IT Guy must have disabled something. It could be one of many thing. If you cant right click on it and select the Full version them i think they have disabled the Media Players from doing so.

It is a tricky task and would require Admin rights to try and find out exactly what they have done.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-06-2007, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I actually do have full admin rights on my computer and have permission to do whatever I need. Do you have any ideas on what to try to fix it?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Never mind, I found the fix. When searching Google I found the following web page: Lock the Selected Media Player Skin at Registry Guide for Windows. It instructs me to delete a registry key and change the default skin key back to the classic. It works great now...exactly like it should.

Thanks.