WMP 10 will only rip to *.wma? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
well, when I downloaded and installed WMP 10 it was with the promise of being able to rip to MP3 format. I had already purchased an MP3 ripping plugin for WMP 9, but if 10 could do it without a new plugin, I might as well upgrade right?

wrong.

WMP 10 is only letting me rip to three filetypes:
Windows Media
Windows Media Variable bitrate
Windows Media Lossless

WTF happened to MPEG layer 3?

Microshaft's site asserts that WMP CAN rip to MP3, and that it is under the rip format options -- the same options that gave me the preceeding 3 format choices.

Can someone please help me figure this out? I'm sick and tired of dealing with Microshaft's obscure format settings and winding up with *.wmas in my library...

PS. First one to tell me to get i-tunes DIES.

Cunjo said:
well, when I downloaded and installed WMP 10 it was with the promise of being able to rip to MP3 format. I had already purchased an MP3 ripping plugin for WMP 9, but if 10 could do it without a new plugin, I might as well upgrade right?

MICROSOFT WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER <----- There is the sourse of your problems.

Sounds like a liecening issue between WMP9 and WMP10. Sort of like when you upgrade your MS Office suit from Version XP to Version 2003.

Personally I use FREE RIP do convert my CD files over to MP3 format.
You can find that software from Download.com. However I suggest you do a spyware scan after you install it as I put a lot of GAIN (aka GATOR) crap on your system too.

But after you remove the spyware from this program, I have had not problem with it.

Alternitivly, move back to WMP9. (If it will allow you too)

Cunjo said:
QUESTION ....
Is there some life and death reason why you MUST you WMP? There is a lot better media playing programs out there.

Although I can (theoretically) roll back to 9, I can't reinstall the MP3 ripping plugin without paying for it again.

If something puts trash on my system, I won't even install it -- my system is highly unstable as it is, and although I can probably clean it up, I don't want to risk it as I have no way of recovering the files on this HD should it go down.

Reasons I use WMP:
1) aside from some proprietary file formats (*.QT, *.MOV, *.RM) it will play anything I throw at it with the right codecs.
2) WinAmp crashed my system the last two times I tried to use it.
3) i-tunes -- which everyone keeps telling me I need to get -- is FAR too resource-intensive to run on my computer without grinding the system to a halt.
4) although it's a step down from WMP 9, I still like the interface of WMP 10 better than the other players, and the skins are uber WinAmp's.

Cunjo said:

wrong.

WMP 10 is only letting me rip to three filetypes:
Windows Media
Windows Media Variable bitrate
Windows Media Lossless

WTF happened to MPEG layer 3?

Microshaft's site asserts that WMP CAN rip to MP3, and that it is under the rip format options -- the same options that gave me the preceeding 3 format choices.

Can someone please help me figure this out? I'm sick and tired of dealing with Microshaft's obscure format settings and winding up with *.wmas in my library...

I had a plug in for wmp9 for mp3 ripping. I don't need it anymore as wmp10 will rip to mp3's now. in the tools, options, copy music tab you should be able to set it to mp3.

I use wmp to rip, only because it will automatically rip the album cover to the folder, So I don't have to manually do it

Re: Re: WMP 10 will only rip to *.wma? WTF?

EricB said:
I had a plug in for wmp9 for mp3 ripping. I don't need it anymore as wmp10 will rip to mp3's now. in the tools, options, copy music tab you should be able to set it to mp3.

I use wmp to rip, only because it will automatically rip the album cover to the folder, So I don't have to manually do it

I KNOW what WMP 10 is theoretically capable of -- rest assured, it is NOT doing it.

WTF-seventyleven.jpg

Yes, this IS WMP 10, No, the MP3 format option is NOT there.
It WAS there -- about 3 months ago when I last used it to rip a CD, but no longer. I need MP3 ripping capability, and Microsuck is not making it easy...

have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling WMP10. I too have the option to rip to MP3 in WMP10 options. Maybe when you upgraded something went wrong and it didn't install properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom