WMI on XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

srinikal

Beta member
Hi,

I have Xp SP2 appliance(which has hardened OS) that is giving problems with WMI.

The problem is that I have logged in as Administrator and when I try to connect to WMI it is simply failing. I do the following thing to on the "Computer Management"

Go to "control panel-> Administrative Tools-> Computer Management"

In "Computer Management" Go to and open "Services & Application" node in the tree. Here click on the "WMI Control". Then righ click on it and you see a menu, here click on the "Properties".

Now after clicking on the properties if everything goes fine there should be short message saying "connecting to Windows Management..." and then the "WMI Control Properties" dialogbox should be opened.

THE PROBLEM with my XP SP2 appliance is that when I click on the "Properties" menu for "WMI Control" there is some problem in connecting to the WMI. You can see the attached screenshot of the "WMI Control Properties" dialog box that is opened. Here we see that it says "Failed to initialize all required WMI classes".

Because of this problem the simple WMI scritps that I have also fails to run and terminates with error message "Permission Denied". Obviously the problem is with the XP SP2 and I have disabled the firewall that is turned on automatically by SP2 and it does not help.

Thanks for reading me post and if anyone know how to go about this problem please let me know. It is a crisis situation!!!!:mad:

cheers!
Srinivasan.K

Attachments

• wmi_problem.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 35
I don't think ICF has any thing to do with WMI access from console.

Have you done any additional hardening after installing SP2????

If not then I guess you should uninstall SP2 and see if it still persists ( I am also having XP SP2, its not giving any such issue).

If it has logged in eventvwr plz post the event id.

--Vikas

Hi Vikas,

Thanks for your help. Actually I was able to solve this after searching few articles on the net.

The problem was with few policy setting. I ran "gpedit.msc" and changed the following entries.

a)
Group Policy->Computer Configuration->Windows Settings-> Security Settings->Local Policies->Local Options->Security Options->( there are 2 DOM related settings here that needed changing).

b)
Group Policy->Computer Configuration->Windows Settings-> Security Settings->Local Policies->Local Options->User Rights Assignment->Impersonate a client after authentication ( Add administrator).

I added Administrator to these to policies and gave full permissions to Administrator and Everyone accounts.

This solved the problem.

cheers!
Srinivasan.K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom