wmi shmutz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
heh...

this might sound weird, but i'm fairly certain the svchost.exe issue was present immediately following installation.

it's not likely the WMI (i checked the error logs after using Microsoft's WMI Diagnostic Utility)..... grrrrrrrr

svchost is a problem in itself. They should never bundle processes like that...it makes identifying the problem so much harder... And in the past two months, it seems like various programs have been causing a lot of grief.

That's one of the downfalls with Windows...if something semi-"major" goes wrong, the only way to fully clense the OS.:(

You can see what's running inside your svchost process by typing this command at the command prompt "tasklist /svc" and yes, you should have 4-6 of these processes running on an XP system. Shutting them down won't hurt, they'll just limit your functionality.

Basically what killing them does is end some system/network services that are listed in your services list (right click my computer -> manage -> services).

There have been some viruses known to exploit this process, so be careful. The svchost.exe should only be in your windows/system32 directory.

is there a way to identify which service within an svchost process (ex using process explorer properties) is causing the high cpu usage?
because with svchost killed winmgmt was still running, and the computer was okay..... :((?)
i can post whatever screenshots deemed necessary :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom