WMA files won't play in WMP11 on new vista rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBD

In Runtime
I originally ripped all my music using WMP in XP (WMA files play fine)

I installed vista on a new HDD and transferred my music collection onto the vista drive using drag and drop. (WMA files play fine on vistas WMP11)

Then, I built a new rig using vista as the OS and transferred my music collection over to it from my old vista pc.

Now, when I try to play a windows media audio(WMA) file on my new rig, I get the craptastic message "Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."

MP3s, DVDs, etc. play fine using WMP11 on my new rig, I can also play the WMA files on a non-wmp11 player.

I figured the problem is some kind of copy protection b.s. But when I look at the properties of the WMA files the "Protection value" is blank.

Is it possible, The WMA files won't play because I transferred them from vista to vista over my lan?

Check in the Read First topic for a thread called taking ownership of files in Vista. That should solve your issue.

Check in the Read First topic for a thread called taking ownership of files in Vista. That should solve your issue.

Thanks for the tip. I took ownership of files in Vista, But it didn't solve my problem, I still can't play WMA files in WMP11.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Did you install a codec pack?

Nope, But I did install nero 9 and lightscribe software.

I just ripped a new cd using WMP11 and it won't play the WMA files it created :\

Man, this is lame, I have 70gbs of music and I don't want to convert it all to mp3.

I still can't find a solution for my problem.

So.... I probably need to reinstall vista, huh? :(

How so? If you havent tried installing a codec pack there is no saying that a new install will work either.

Install a codec pack.

How so? If you havent tried installing a codec pack there is no saying that a new install will work either.

Install a codec pack.

Why would I need to install a codec pack to play wma files on vista. Isn't wma, window's codec?

I installed the k-lite standard pack and the wma files still won't play :( But, I didn't see anything about wma while I ran through the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom