Wireless PCI and Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamelajo

Solid State Member
I am trying to install a wireless PCI on my computer. I am running
Windows 98 and need to be running Windows 98SE in order to install. I have a Windows 98SE CD that I am trying to install but I keep getting the message "Your computer already has an operating system installed, which cannot be upgraded by this version of Setup. You need to obtain the Windows 98 Upgrade". How do I obtain this upgrade.

Thanks,
Pam

different os

can you get access to 2000? It's much more stable than 98. I have had problems using wireless with 98se as well. Have you done windows updates? It may have already updated your 98 to se. I would dump 98 asap.

the problem is I dont' know if my computer will support XP. I have a 4.75Gb with 2.95GB used. That leaves me with only 2.80GB left. Would it work if I tried to install XP?

Can you try 2000? It's very stable after you update to sp4. You should be ok with disk space. Don't get me wrong you won't have alot left over. I would do I clean install to remove 98. You don't want 2 os's on a disk with that space. What's the wireless card your trying to install anyway?

Forget link-g with 98. I'm sorry but I haven't any luck with two together. I know the box says it's ok but from what I learned it's time to move on. I have machines running 2000 sp4 and xp sp2 and curse at the xp's everyday. So I quess prefer the stabilty of 2000 over xp but xp is easier to use (when it's working). I'm guessing you machine is around 6-8 years old?? What is the actual disk size.. not what's left?

Will XP work with 4.75 GB? How do I remove windows 98 to install xp? Will it just write over it?

xp

XP should have enough room but you won't be left with much.. you already know this. Put the XP Cd in and reboot. You may get a prompt to hit any key to boot from CD. If not you need to enter bios setting on start-up. From there you can change your boot seq. Set this to CD first. Once XP setup starts you will need to delete the current partion. This will delte ALL files on the disk so make sure you got a backup of ANYTHING you to keep. After that you will create a new partion. On this disk size you will need to make only 1 partion with the full disk space. XP installer will will take it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom