Wireless internet problem:Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

twistedpower

Beta member
So, Here is what I have.

I'm running 32bit Vista. I am using a version 4.1 linksys wireless-g PCI card. I have the latest driver updates. There is nothing wrong with the card it has been used in another computer to test it and no problem. There is nothing wrong with the PCI slot it has also been tested. There is nothing wrong with the modem itself or the actuall internet connection (optimum).
I start up my computer and everything is fine, i have a 4 or 5 bars of connection at all times, and if i load any program any browsers I have great internet connection. I can leave my computer on for hours and come back and still have internet connection.

However if I perform any action that uses a decent amount of bandwith, for example play an multiplayer online game or download/stream video, the internet connection will eventually freazes up andwhere from 10 min to 40 mins of use. The browers or the programs do not freaze. My connection to my wireless network is exactally the same as it was before the problem. If i go to vistas repair for the connection it says there is nothing wrong with my connection. It does not show a limited connectivity icon. It does not eventually allow me to once again access the internet. There is no set time that i use the internet that this happens like say 10 min after i connect or somthing, the time is random. There is no other computer connected to the network so no conflicting IP's. If i restart my modem or wireless router it doesnt fix the problem. I can reset my IP or use a static one and have the same problem. I also can use either an autodetect proxy setting or run my own and still nothing. Turning off firewalls, and any port fowarding doesnt fix it. I run symantic corprate edition but even when its off the problem still happens.

Somtimes i get a "cannot connect to DNS server" message when I try and repair it, though not always. And I also get this somtimes when repair and my internet is working which doesnt make any sense becuase if i can load google and do serches then how can i not connect to the DNS server.

I am able to go into device manager and disable then re-enable the network addapter and the device works again. After a short time the problem happens again.

I had just recently switched hardrives and installed a fresh install of vista on my computer. My old hardrive has no problems with the same card and the same system. The new hardrive has the problem.

This leads me to belive there is somthing misconfigered in vista and there is some option that is turned on (or off) or some setting that i'm missing or that is cuasing an error with my card or the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom