wireless help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

homerj14

In Runtime
ok well hey guys i have my pc at home and this week im buying an Apple I book sorry Im going for MAC but I heard these are great laptops well the reason is i like to study downstairs and listen to music and stuff but my computer and my internet is upstairs.. i have SBC Yahoo dsl that comes with the speed stream dsl box... well i want to get a wireless system so i can use my ibook downstairs but im confused.. if i buy a wireless network linksys box... and i still have sbc yahoo do i just get rid of the broadband box that they gave me and set up the linksys system??

Absolutely not. You WILL need the "Linksys box" (router) and the broadband modem (the thing you got from SBC).

There are a series of "ports" on the back of the router. ONE of them is designated for the modem. You see, instead of the modem going straight from the wall socket to the computer, it will instead go from the wall socket to the router in its designated port. Then your computer will plug into the router.

AKA:

Single computer setup: Wall - Modem - Computer.
Multi computer setup: Wall - Modem - Router - Computers.

The thing is, even though you will have TWO computers on the network, one will be wireless... so in the back of the router, you would generally have JUST the desktop plugging into the router. The laptop would not connect with any type of hardwire... because as I said, it's wireless. :)

I hope this helped some. There are tons of diagrams on google if you need assistance when it comes time to hook everything up. Check it out. :)

ok so when i get my Ibook and my linkys system all i do is connect my broadband to the back of the linkys and the ibook should come with already wireless network card in it?? am i right?

homerj14 said:
ok so when i get my Ibook and my linkys system all i do is connect my broadband to the back of the linkys and the ibook should come with already wireless network card in it?? am i right?

I would definitely imagine that the wireless card would come already in the iBook. I have minimal experience with Macs, but I'd be very surprised if I found out it didn't come with a wireless card.

What you have to do is install the router drivers on each computer. I'm not COMPLETELY sure, but I'm also pretty sure that you'll need to install the modem on each computer too (your desktop should already have these drivers installed). Everything needs to be compatible and communicate with one another.

What I did is just installed the Modem + Router drivers on each computer and everything worked.

Take your time, don't rush through this or you'll run into a major headache. I learned that the hard way. :)

Off to work (break is over). :( Take care.

If your IBook comes with a wireless adapter, you wont need to install the drivers for it as they will already be there. When you install a wireless router, by default its an open access point, so as long as the wireless router you buy and the wireless adapter you already own are on compatible frequencies, you will be able to detect and connect to the wireless router through your iBook. Then you follow the instructions that came with the router to set up any security measures to make it so that only your computers can connect to the wireless signal put out by the wireless router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom