WinXP Won't Start - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default WinXP Won't Start

Time for me to ask a question.....My son is visiting and brought his computer with him. It is about 6 months old AMD 2700+ Compaq running WinXP.

When we turned it on, it shows the Compaq logo (it will not let us access the bios by pressing any of the F keys). After the Compaq screen goes away, about 5 minutes later a message appears that says " Disc error, insert Sytems Disc and press Enter". A young child was messing with his computer before he brought it here, so almost anything could have happened.

He didn't bring his system restore discs otherwise I would try to reboot with them.

I have a WinXP Home Edition that came with another computer. When I insert this disc, the files will download and go to the windows is starting message. It then gives a message that this particuliar disc can't be used and Windows is shutting down to prevent harm to the computer.

Any suggestion as to why I can't get in to the Bios?
Suggestions as to how to get him up and running?

I have removed all cables and reattached.
I have removed memory and reinserted.
Power comes on normally and fans spin.

I have thought about downloading the WinXP start up disc (6) and try booting from them to see what will happen.

Old 12-17-2004, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Did you try pressing "Del" to enter your BIOS' settings?

Old 12-17-2004, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yea, I tried every dog gone key on the key board. Tonight when I have time to sit down and take my time, I'll look more in to it. Hopefully I can find a way to get in to the bios so that I can go in safe mode and restore it to a former working configuation.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

When I think about it, since the computer does see the CD ROM, there is no need to run the 6 set up discs. Just got to figure how to get to the restore points.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Boot from the XP disc and press F2 at some point to do a system restore.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks TheMajor, I will give it a try.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

run the bare minimums in the case. strip the pci bus, unplug extra cdroms, floppy and h/d. Leave only the CD-rom and h/d your doing an install on connected. Try re-seating the memory. try different IDE cables, check jumpers on the hard drive. something hardware related is preventing the machine to POST. NIC cards and modems are notorious for this. So are compaqs.......thats another story good luck!

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 12-17-2004, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Roshi229 Send a message via Yahoo to Roshi229

Quote:
Originally posted by SHAWN
run the bare minimums in the case. strip the pci bus, unplug extra cdroms, floppy and h/d. Leave only the CD-rom and h/d your doing an install on connected. Try re-seating the memory. try different IDE cables, check jumpers on the hard drive. something hardware related is preventing the machine to POST. NIC cards and modems are notorious for this. So are compaqs.......thats another story good luck!
i don't agree... this sounds more like the files are corrupted, they can be replaced from the WinXP cd, or system restore disk, however it is not the same disk you used to install XP it may find conflict in the CDkey thus preventing you from booting from an XP cd other than the one you installed with... depending on what version of XP and what releas it is.

i would stick with the major on this one, although checking your hardware won't hurt... i don't believe it's the problem

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search first, ask later!\"></form>