WinXP shutdown causing probs with software

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerjim

Beta member
Hi,
ive been having a bit of trouble with WinXp (sp1) when i shut down the pc. it sems to cause all my software to shut down without saving their settings (like zonealarm and norton av) which means i have to keep telling zonealarm which progs i want on the net etc... It's like windows is shutting down too fast or something, or just ending everything all of a sudden. Does anyone know anything about this prob and how to fix it please?

thanks

Try setting up a few sites in zonealarm and then exit zone alarm and go back into it. Are the sites still there? If they are, then try shutting down the PC and restart it. After ZoneAlarm starts, are the sites still there?
What sort of settings for Norton AV are you losing?

-Mike

that doesn't sound like an OS problem
it sound like the application isn't saving itself when it executes the close function

the only thing thats making any trouble is zonealarm, as it keeps forgetting everything. i tried sutting it down and then back up again, and the settings were what i wanted them to be. it seems like whenever i change anything windows shuts down too fast so that zonealarm doesnt get the chance to save itself. with norton the only probs are that i get messages saying that the different little components are not ending (so that winxp will do it itself in a few seconds). i think it doesnt get a quick enough response and then just decides to kill whatever is in memory. ive noticed a similar thing with windows messenger too. any ideas?

alright instead of starting a new thread im kinda having similar probems, but mine is that windows hangs on start up and shut down for some reason and it doesnt do it all the time and when it does its not always the same amount of time it hangs, any ideas. like on the log in screen i type my password and it sits there and says loading settings or whatever it says, and then all of a sudden it decides to start loading, same with the shut down screen it sits on the windows is shutting down way longer than it used to. i think it all started when i installed nod32 which is now uninstalled. like i said it does it about 85% of the time and the rest it acts completely normal. somebody help me, its really annoying

Mike, to make things easier for myself i downloaded cacheman and made the shut down process a bit longer, all is sorted.

Thanks very very much. :)

You can also try to disable the fast shutdown for windows XP. I have read that some computers have problems with the fast shutdown feature in windows xp. Try that and see if that works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom