WinXP reinstall -- how do I get all of my programs to work again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cil

Beta member
Hi all,

I was having "terminal" problems with my computer (pun intended) and found that, after trying almost everything, the only viable fix for me short of reformatting the HD was to reinstall WinXP Pro (SP2). Unfortunately, the computer would not stay up long enough for me to formally save files and settings. I reinstalled and the computer worked again. However, I can no longer access all of my programs that are installed on the HD. I have successfully rebuilt my Desktop, which was easy...I just moved my old Admin/Desktop files over to the new Files and Settings folder. No prob. All programs there work fine now. But my very numerous programs are not listed on the Start tab and when I click on the exact .exe file, it will not open. Eudora is especially bad because it tells me to go to the command line (which I've tried) and that it won't open with an attachment.

I would like the easiest solution to putting my programs back on the Start tab and have them work again (short of reinstalling all of them which would take a couple of weeks IF I can find all the info for them). Should I mess with environment variables? Or is there an easier way?

Thank you all so much in advance for any help you can give.

--Cil

Re:

Hello,

So you did a Repair on your Windows XP Partition...?

Unfortunately, when you do a repair...registry values are replaced and restored with the factory default values...basically rendering your installed programs useless.

You'll have to re-install your programs :( .

A repair install doesnt take your registry back to default. I have done it several times on my machine and was still able to run my application. I think cil just inserted the XP disc and re-install XP without any format, just leave the file system the way it is. At least thats what i get out of it. In that case it would be a fresh registry and wouldnt be able to run your applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom