WinXP - program and shortcut problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdot

Beta member
Im not sure why this has happened, as I was not the last one to use the pc. But everytime i boot the pc a xp generated pop up comes up with unreadable characters and after clicking ok (because the x doesnt get rid of it) xp starts up but all shortcuts on the desktop and in the start menu are not assigned to their programmes. Anyone know why this could've happened or how i can go about fixing it.

Thanks in advance.

jDot

hey thanks jcortes, while goin through the guide I've noticed that I haven't got access to the internet as no icons appear in the taskbar apart from the time. So I was unable to download the programs suggested. I d/l them on my laptop and transfered them over but I cannot run applications either they have that misc type of icon like its not associated to anything.

I ran the programs I already had on there (i.e ad-aware, spybot n ccleaner) but no change.

Any ideas on how to run the install files? Or methods..

i hate to suggest this but it really seems like there is alot wrong. would you be willing to format or is that out of the question?

Im 50/50 about formatting it, cause its got all the fams stuff on it. I got the programmes to run but nothings showed up being infected? Do you know whats gone wrong with it?

Thanks..

Is there a CD or DVD burner on that PC?

You could backup everything and reformat, and everything will be on a disc for safekeeping.

And if you don't have a CD-RW drive, a memory stick runs about $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom