Not open for further replies.

ZeeLex

Solid State Member
witch one is runs better and faster?

The configuration of the system:

ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

From what I understand, it can be a bit risky with 64 bit systems because of lack of support and drivers. Also I think it can eat up a lot of ram, more than 2 gigs worth.

I'd stick with the 32 bit, but I'm not completely familiar with the advantages of 64 bit systems.

From what I understand, it can be a bit risky with 64 bit systems because of lack of support and drivers. Also I think it can eat up a lot of ram, more than 2 gigs worth.

I'd stick with the 32 bit, but I'm not completely familiar with the advantages of 64 bit systems.

it the opposite. it use the ram better than xp 32 (going from 2 gig to 4 makes regular xp slower). it is 50 faster than regular xp. everything just isn't compatible with it yet. 64bit sp2 have made things better though

Intro, Test Bed and Installation Time

The latest public release of Windows Vista has finally reached Release Candidate 1. As with previous builds, Microsoft released both the 32Bit and 64Bit version of the operating system. Its certainty clear that 64Bit Windows Vista will provide the necessary support for 64 Bit applications. However, only a few companies have ported there current 32Bit applications to the 64Bit platform. Users who install Vista 64Bit will still have to rely on 32Bit to run certain applications. The question is does Vista 64Bit offer any advantages of Vista 32Bit at the moment? To answer this question we ran a test on both versions using PassMark's PerformanceTest V6 32Bit for Windows Vista 32Bit and and the 64Bit version for Windows Vista 64Bit. The results didn't really surprise this reviewer, mainly because it is the same results that have been shown for Windows XP 32Bit vs. Windows XP 64Bit; the 32Bit version of Windows still dominates in many test. This conclusion is mainly based on better driver support for Windows 32Bit.

The configuration of the test system:

- ABIT AN8 Socket 939 with nForce 4 chipset
- AMD Athlon 64 bit 3500+
- 4 x 512 MB RAM Kingston Dual Channel 400 MHz (2GB Total)
- SATA 160 GB hard disk
- ATI Radeon 9550 8X AGP 256 MB RAM
- DVD-RW HP LigthScribe

Installation Time
The time taken to install both versions was recorded. Let this time be the time from when the first user prompt to the first sign of user input after installation was complete. Windows Vista 32Bit took a total time of 23 minutes and 13 seconds while Windows Vista 64Bit took a bit less time, 21 minutes and 2 seconds. Though not a huge difference, Vista 64Bit does show a faster install time in our test.

CPU Test, 2D Graphics test and Memory Test

CPU Test
For this test, a large array of random 32 bit and 64 bit integers is processed using particular mathematical operations.

cpu.jpg

Windows Vista RC1 32Bit shows about an 18% increase over the 64Bit counterpart in this test.

2D Graphics Test
This test runs a number of 2 Dimensional scenarios such as line drawing, painting bitmaps and rendering fonts and text.

2d.jpg

The results above shows Windows Vista 64Bit with a 27% increase in 2D rendering over Vista 32Bit.

Memory Test
The Memory test exercises the memory sub-system of the computer (Random Access Memory- RAM). All tests use a combination of 32-bit and 64-bit data when reading or writing from or to RAM.

memory.jpg

The result doesn't show much of an increase in Memory performance from Vista 64Bit over 32Bit.

Disk Test, 3D Graphics Test and PassMark Rating

Disk Test
This part of the test exercises the following functions:
Disk Sequential Read
A large test file is created on the disk under test. The file is read sequentially from start to end.
Disk Sequential Write
A large file is written to the disk under test. The file is written sequentially from start to end.
Disk Random Seek RW
A large test file is created on the disk under test. The file is read randomly; a seek is performed to move the file pointer to a random position in the file, a 16KB block is read or written then another seek is performed. The amount of data actually transferred is highly dependent on the disk seek time.

disk.jpg

Again, the results do not show any significant increase in performance in 64Bit Vista over 32Bit.

3D Graphics Test
Unfortunately, we ran into some problems when running this part of the test. Windows Vista 64Bit refused to run this test. This test was omitted from the 32Bit version tested to have a fair comparable PassMark rating.

PassMark Rating
The "PassMark rating" is a weighted average of all the other test results and gives a single overall indication of the computers performance. The bigger the number, the faster the computer.

passmark.jpg

As noted earlier, Vista 32Bit shows an increase in performace of 3% over its 64Bit counterpart. Though this test shows 32Bit on top, we haven't really fully tested a 64Bit OS on a full 64Bit PC. Once all drivers, codecs and other scripts are ported to 64Bit shall we see a “real” increase in performance in 64Bit computing.

So, to answer the question of whether Vista RC1 64Bit offers any advantages over Vista RC1 32Bit, not at the moment. Maybe by the time Windows Vista hits RTM other applications may be ported to 64Bit and then the margin of performance may be noticeable.

Wrez Monster Thanks a lot for your reply. But the question was about XP Professional . I just wanna know with the simple answer with one runs faster on my system and list of softwares could be installed to 64bit.
Forget about Vista until next year.:freak:

I know for a fact that xp 64 is way faster than xp 32.

when I encode 700 mb file to dvd, it would tale 90 minutes on xp 32, 30 minutes on xp 64.

performance test 6 give me a 380 score in 32 bit, 560 in 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom