WinXP cpu and ram req. and advantages over 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeece

Beta member
Hey there all! :)

I'm wondering if I should upgrade from Win2K (Pro, not Server) to XP (Fam or Pro, not sure yet) on my 2nd computer (server/HTPC). I know XP's somewhat heavier and needs lots of Ram, but it's more the CPU that concerns me. It's a T-bird 1.33 with 768mb of RAM. :D I know it can run, but if it's going to be a huge system hog, I'll forget it. Physical space shouldn't be a problem, the hard disk (for now) is a 40gb one. That's for the hardware part.

I know too that XP is supposed to be "more stable" (2000 never gave me any problem on that point), safer (as safe as a Microsoft OS can get ;) ) and easier to use (I'm getting along pretty well with 2000 and it doesn't scare me). Would there be any other advantage/drawbacks to change the OS?

Also, what are the differences between XP Fam. and Pro? There isn't any side by side comparaison on the MS website, and I'm too lazy to try and find all the infos on their weirdsite. Is it just extra software included in the Pro version, or is there a change in the OS' kernel?

I'm pretty happy with my trouble-free 2000 setup, but if XP can get me happier, why not?

System requirements for XP pro is here...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.asp

I have XP pro and run it on a Duron 1.0ghz, 320mb SDRAM and it runs sweet as!
Yes it has mre security, stability features and all that but I would just say as much as I recommend everyone getting XP, if youre running problem free on 2k then buy something else like a game:)

A difference I can remember from Home and Pro edition is for remote login, A home edition can only login to another system, where's you can not login to a home edition system. Pro can do vice-versa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom