Winsock Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

As long as it is a XP Home to go with Home install and XP Pro to go with a Pro install any CD should work just fine. You might need a OEM disc but i think a retail disk should do just fine.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

Have you tried a Restore point? One that you might hvae from before this issue started? If not then have you tried a Repair install?

Cheers,
Mak

I've tried restore many times with different dates but it doesn't work.

Doug

This is the error message from diagnostic tools:

ERROR ATTEMPTING TO VALIDATE THE WINSOCK PROVIDERS: 2.

NOT ALL BASE SERVICE PROVIDER ENTRIES COULD BE FOUND IN THE WINSOCK CATALOG. A RESET IS NEEDED.

I have tried the reset catalog command but it didn't help.

Doug

Hello,

Either try a repair install or it seems a format will be in order.

Cheers,
Mak

well I've tried everything suggested Plus tried LSP.fix with negative results.

I'm reinstalling Windows now and that leads to another question... When I use my XP install cd, it won't let me use the serial number on the PC, but if I use the ID that came with mine it won't pass the validation test.

Is their anyway to install using the ID that is on the PC case?

Thanks,

Doug

Hello,

I would be willing to say that the Serial on the side is OEM while the disc you are using is Retail. They dont work together. You need to get a OEM copy of the disc.

Cheers,
Mak

Is this the disk that came with the PC?

No it is a retail version.

Isn't there someway to buy a license for a repair shop?

dd

Hello,

I would be willing to say that the Serial on the side is OEM while the disc you are using is Retail. They dont work together. You need to get a OEM copy of the disc.

Cheers,
Mak

Yes, that is the truth.

Hello,

There is no way to buy XP OEM at all anymore. They discontinued it July 1,2008. So you would be stuck buying a full retail copy again. Best option. Find a decent OEM version available for download that isnt loaded with viruses and such.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom