Winsock Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaarenoc

Baseband Member
I'm having winsock errors. I'm connected to the internet but can't send or receive email and IE won't open any webpages.
I've used the netsh command to reset the winsock catalog... it didn't help. Here is the error code I get:

No Socket Error 10061 Error# 0x800CCC0E

I've searched google and microsoft's knowledgebase, but nothing I found helped. My OS is Windows XP Pro.

Any Ideas?

Doug

Hello,

Are you using FIrefox and can view pages in that fine? Is it just IE that wont view pages?

As for the mail thing what email server are you trying to connect to? GMail, hotmail, ISP?

Cheers,
Mak

I don't have firefox installed, only IE for a browser.
I'm connected thru my ISP. Google or nothing else will come up.
I'm on the net but can't move any packets.

I'll download "Firefox install" on another computer and install it to try.

Are you running virus protection or internet security?? I have seen Norton products block all email and http traffic yet allow you to be connected to the internet. Try disabling any of that stuff first.

I'm not running any virus programs and I have turned off the firewall.

The event viewer says winsock2 can't be found and not all base LSP's are installed.

Hello,

There is something with that PC. IT could be the TCP/IP settings could be something else. Are you on the same network as that PC sharing the internet connection and it is only that PC that wont connect?

Cheers,
Mak

Yes this PC is on the same network and it is ok.

I've tried to download and run XP Winsock Fix.exe, but I can't copy it from the floppy to the hard drive.

Doug

Hello,

Have you tried a Restore point? One that you might hvae from before this issue started? If not then have you tried a Repair install?

Cheers,
Mak

I checked the link and tried to follow but... when I typed "netdiag /test:winsock" or "msinfo32" it says those are not recognized commands. ??

I did try restore but the operation was not successful. As to repair install, The OS disk that I have is not the one the manufacturer put on the pc. Would any xp OS cd work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom