WinRM Problems

drchronic

Beta member
I have been trying to get WinRM to work through the WAN for about a year now and haven't been able to get it to work. It works on the LAN if I use the remote machines host name "SERVER" but if I use my IP or DNS address on the LAN it will fail.

I have port 443, 5985 & 5986 forwarded, both machines (laptop and desktop) set up as trusted hosts, etc. Here's what I will get from both powershell and the command prompt:

The SSL certificate is signed by an unknown certificate authority.
The SSL certificate contains a common name (CN) that does not match the hostname

I don't know where the certificate is located in certmgr.msc on my desktop to manually install it on my laptop.

When I set my local firewall to not forward the ports I get:

"Winrs error:The WinRM client cannot complete the operation within the time specified. Check if the machine name is valid and is reachable over the network and firewall exception for Windows Remote Management service is enabled."
for HTTPS...

OR:

"Winrs error:The WinRM client cannot process the request. If the authentication s
cheme is different from Kerberos, or if the client computer is not joined to a d
omain, then HTTPS transport must be used or the destination machine must be added to the TrustedHosts configuration setting. Use winrm.cmd to configure TrustedHosts. Note that computers in the TrustedHosts list might not be authenticated. You can get more information about that by running the following command: winrm help config."
for HTTP.

I asked my brother-in-law about it and he said that it may only work through a domain and not a workgroup, which would mean that I would need to setup a domain controller. I don't really need that for what I am trying to do.

Basically I am trying to get around the problem in Remote Desktop where another user profile is logged in and it gives you the error "Another user is connected, do you want to disconnect them". If I say Yes then all it will do is show a prompt on the local user's screen that says "Another user is trying to connect, do you want to logoff". I was getting around this on a LAN by using the logoff command through WinRS, however quser.exe and logoff.exe are not included in Win7 Home, only Pro and Ultimate. I moved to NC and my server is in CA, I kinda want to get WinRM to work so I can run local commands on my server.

This is pushing my understanding of Windows to the very edge and I am kinda out of my element, so any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom