Windows2000 vs. 98 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 03:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Exclamation Windows2000 vs. 98

I have an old Hitachi Powerbook 775 series, and I just meet the bare requirements to run windows 2000. It runs sort of choppy and stuff, and I'm wondering if I should install 98 instead and if that will give me a difference in performance as far as loading apps and internet windows and such.
---------------------------------------

[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b305/alexrjohnson/mouse****1fn.gif[/IMG]

Old 08-11-2005, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Well if you just barely meet specs then yes installing 98 would benefit you. Just make sure it is 98SE. I doubt you will get any updates for it since 98 is no longer supported by M$ though. I hope that answers your question.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

You will get whatever updates were made for 98se. Microsoft just is not making anymore.

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 08-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

True but that doesnt mean that there is no security issues that have come up since they have stop supporting it. But that is just my pet peeve. Sorry to keep saying it. I just dont like having a system that might be open to attack cause the maker decides not to support it anymore. Blasted M$....

Old 08-11-2005, 11:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah I know this gets off topic, but I've gone through at least 6 machines including 2 notebooks with wireless internet and have never really updated my windows or used any firewalls/security features etc. Nobody has ever hacked me or screwed anything up. I mean yeah I've had viruses but antivirus programs do sort of good with those.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I use Windows Vista and I'm below the minimum specs check my sig. If you meet the requirements you are fine. Though it doesn't hurt to be over. As much as I hate 2K I suggest you use Windows 2000.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 08-12-2005, 02:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm booting windows98se on it right now as i type (other laptop of course). Figured I would just try it out myself and learn from experience. I'll post a reply and let ya know how it worked out for me. I'm just scared programs and such won't be compatible with 98se, because I'm going to need Microsoft Office and such.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

It depends on which version of Office you use. I know 2003 wont install on that ol dof a OS. On a side note....I have pretty much learned all i know about computers from crashing and mangling them for over 10 years now. I have taken a few courses and have gotten A+ (Core Hardware and Operating System) Certified along with Net+ Certified. But for as much as i learned form those classes it is still nothing compared to getting down and dirty with the hardware and software to see what really happens.

Old 08-12-2005, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah well I went with Windows2000 professional. It seems to run everything just as smooth as Windows98SE did. I like 2000 better just because everything is more up to date and more programs and stuff are compatible with it. Have fun finding windows98 drivers! Yeah definately down and dirty is the way to go. Thanks to everyone who responded to my posts, you helped me out alot but nothing as close as just sucking it up and doing it yourself :-). Over and out.....

Closed Thread