Windows XP won't start!!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unhappy Windows XP won't start!!!

Ok, so this is what's happennig with my laptop, I don't know if it is the MBR or not:

I have windows XP,

After an windows automatically update and the Norton Symantec Anti-Virus Update, I was asked to restart the Windows XP, but I first tried to install an application called "PC Suite" for the nokia 6100 mobile. When installing the application I received an error message for registring the InstallShield for installing the software, so I thougth humm..., maybe I have to restart the windows XP, so windows update and the Anti-Virus update can take effect, and then I can install the application PC Suite.

But when I did the restart of Windows XP, I was asked to start the windows

normally,
or in safe mode,
or with dos prompt,

but when i choose any of the modes I ended up with visualizing the Windows logo and the progress bar and a very quickly blue screen appears (I can't see what's in there) and the system restarts again! And goes back to the start the windows in safe mode, etc.

Any ideas please???

Tanx,

Old 10-14-2004, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Demalii Send a message via AIM to Demalii Send a message via Yahoo to Demalii

well, I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a tip.. when ever windows asks for a restart because you did something to alter the OS.. restart, otherwise you'll end up with problems if you try to install other software, drivers, etc...

Old 10-14-2004, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to VICone Send a message via Yahoo to VICone

Yeah you should always restart after an update buttttttttttttttt its kinda late now soo..

You can't even get into safe mode?
<a href=\"http://profiles.myspace.com/users/17229411\" target=\"_blank\">MySpace</a> | <a href=\"http://mcmcse.com\" target=\"_blank\">MCMCSE</a> | <a href=\"http://brainbench.com\" target=\"_blank\">Brainbench : Free Certifications</a>
Old 10-14-2004, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to MrSpecial

I had the same problem, so I called Dell, and they said my Hard Drive crashed. Maybe that's what happened here?
Old 10-15-2004, 04:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I don't think so! A Year ago I created a FAT32 partition in my hard drive, so I ended up with a larger NTFS partition with the windows XP labeled C, and another smaller FAT32 partition labeled D. And with a bootable diskette, I can acess the D drive and its contents, but not the NTFS partition, this is, I cannot get acess to the D partition. So I'm pretty shure that the problem is in the MBR, cause the MBR just doesn't know where's the C partition.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Can anyone have any ideas how can I fix this?
Old 10-15-2004, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Can I do fixmbr or fdisk /mbr? And still be able to run XP like It was before, or doiing it I would be erasing XP and all the files in the partition?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

well what i would suggest is that Format Ur system again may b the MBR is damaged and i would say it b a good bet if u reinstall the whole OS but back up all important data on some other HDD
Old 10-15-2004, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

boot from xp cd

press f2 for auto system recovery

start typing letter (any)

it will give you commands to type

pick the one that will restore your files
Old 10-19-2004, 05:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sorry, none of that did work!

When i boot from xp cd and try to restore my files (by the way, it isn't F2, it's the 'R' for restoring files), I only have c:\windows> promtp. I did fixboot and fixmbr, still didn't worked. If I try the "cd.." or "cd\" in the prompt, the system says that I don't have permissions for that. I'm trying the warranty. Let's see what's gonna happen!

Tanx!

Closed Thread