Windows XP Won't Load - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2006, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to topherus
Default Windows XP Won't Load

Because of space problems on my old hard drive, I decided it was time for a larger one. I formatted the new drive and created 2 partitions. On the 1st partition (which I use for my business), I decided to do a clean install of Windows XP and re-installed my business software. On the 2nd partition, I used Norton Ghost 9.0 to copy my personal drive (OS and already installed software) to the new, clean partition. The transfer went well, without any errors.
I rebooted to the 1st partition; everything was good. I went into the boot.ini file to add the 2nd partition as part of a multi-boot system; then rebooted.
On the OS Choice Menu, I chose the 2nd partition.
I got the Windows XP loading screen, then the black screen with the mouse-pointer, then the small Windows XP startup screen. I did not get the "Windows is starting up" phrase, though. My system freezes and goes no further.
I kept rebooting, choosing Safe Mode, and Last Configuration That Worked, and I get the same result.
What am I missing?

Btw, I don't think I have to use Partition Magic's DriveMapper 'cause the drive letter on the new drive is the same as the old drive. None of the drive paths have changed.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

it's because you used norton!

Old 12-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Did you have a second Operating System on the 2nd partition? If so, did you include it in your ghost image?

If you didn't have an OS on the 2nd partition thats the reason for it not being able to boot. It only contains program files that need to run on top of Windows.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

you should have left the boot.ini alone and just remove your old drive. ghost set the new partition active, so you need to do nothing but copy it.

you could have use partition magic to copy it over. it would have explain that detail to you
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Closed Thread