Windows xp will NOT start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly this will not work. A new mother board is in M$'s eyes a new PC. Because well technically it is. A new motherboard and a new CPU is the heart of a PC. So technically they have got a point.

Here is what Microsoft has to say:

“An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computer” to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.”

So if he does get a new mobo and CPU. The license cant be transferred. But telling M$ a little lie might get it to be used again. You know saying that your hard drive crashed and you had to get a new one...something like that.

Replace motherboard equals new pc - Google Search

The google search to find all the related articles.

ok well im on a limited budget....limited meaning i have 3 kids and no money lol so i found a hard drive with windows me on it. put it in it works but in the device manager theres an error with the LAN, sound,Floppy disk controler and both ide controllers. lol and the drivers for the board seem to cover winxp....can i get drivers for win ME?
No the drivers will ahve to be specifically for ME. Windows ME and XP do not use the same coding and hte drivers for them will not be compatible with each other.

I also know the feeling. I have kids and i dont find it easy to buy PC Stuff. But sadly that is not a excuse. Save the $$. A XP License can cost as little as a new Video Game on site like New Egg. We all haev lives and we all can not afford to buy everything we want. Cant use that excuse. I mean if you could build a new PC you can certain buy a copy of XP. M$ wont care.

ohhhh ok...so all i do is contact microsoft on their website and ask them to give me a new activation? and then i can put my xp loaded drive in with no disc or do i still need the disc?
If you read my above post it will not work.

You can first try re-activation (tell them your old motherboard went out, it's not impossible, my old Compaq motherboard went out just recently, but it ran Win2K so I didn't have to activate). If that works, good, otherwise...

A) Buy a new (preferably non-OEM) copy of WinXP (Newegg sells it, so do a lot of stores). It will have a good activation number.

B) Use Linux. If all you use your PC for is Web browsing, e-mail, watching online videos, and listening to music, Ubuntu can do all of that and is entirely (and legally) free to use on as many computers as you want. You can dual-boot Ubuntu (for Web stuff) and WinME (for Windows stuff) together if you want.

C) Upgrade to Vista. The comp might be able to, but the question is, do you really want to go with an unstable OS that suffers from horrible compatibility?

I'd stick with XP if I were you.

xp. that what you have. ME will work on any machine. it doesn't care about hardware changes.

on the xp hard drive there is no i386 folder....i have had win me booted on the machine but i cant find drivers for the sound/lan/ide controllers n such

well i beat the odds!! i found out how to make xp work on any motherboard. before u switch the hard drive over switch the driver for the master ide controller to the standard ide controller from the updated one u allready have. then install the drive in the new board boot in safe mode and bam! it picks it up and windows xp pro runs smoothly! of course my sound, LAN, video etc has no drivers...but they can now be installed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom