Windows xp will NOT start

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hard Drive out of the old machine work work cause the Hardware Profiles are not the same. Re-install XP on the hard drive and everything will work. You can not just take a hard drive out of a machine and place it into another. The setups are different. Different processor, motherobard, sound card, RAM, everything is different. XP was not installed with any drviers or anything that relates to the new system therefor it gives you nthing but errors.

Format and re-isntall Windows is the only way to fix this.

The Hard Drive out of the old machine work work cause the Hardware Profiles are not the same. Re-install XP on the hard drive and everything will work. You can not just take a hard drive out of a machine and place it into another. The setups are different. Different processor, motherobard, sound card, RAM, everything is different. XP was not installed with any drviers or anything that relates to the new system therefor it gives you nthing but errors.

Format and re-isntall Windows is the only way to fix this.

Now I feel like a dork...

... my brain was not working last night. Work sucked... Excuse #3...

oem has nothing to do with it. you change the hardware. an xp repair will fix it, but a reinstall would be better

edit. I see that I've missed mak's post

oem has nothing to do with it. you change the hardware. an xp repair will fix it, but a reinstall would be better

Tis okay. It happens.:D

How's the battery?

A low battery can drop some Eprom settings.

Mine is dropping behind a couple of hours no matter how much I set the clock, looks like the machine is headed for a coma soon.

BTW: You can parallel connect a battery temporarily if your good at micron soldering and keeping things cool. Make sure you don't have any diodes or other components close to the battery circuit. If you don't your probably safe. Solder it in, then snip the old one off at the leads. I did once on another computer without dropping the remainder of my settings. Get the strangest looks when they see a battery hanging out the A$$ end of the tower. It has a battery holder.

Spence

ok so how do i run an xp repair? i have no disk anymore for the OS just the os on the drive. and i have done this in the past and just had to install a few new drivers for the new hardware. this isnt even starting windows. and is the battery you're reffering to a small round watch type on the board?

You will need a XP Home or XP Pro disc that matches your system in order to do a repair install.

Sadly, Windoze is designed in such a (lame awful proprietary greedy-businessman take-your-money) way that a copy of Windoze only works on the PC you install it on (and by PC, I mean motherboard/CPU). My Compaq had Win2000 on it, and the motherboard went out (a Celeron 500). I put in a new Sempron 2600+ Socket 754 board/CPU and plugged the HDD back in. Windoze refused to boot, but Ubuntu booted no problems...I had to reinstall Windoze 2000, but 2000 doesn't require Micro$oft activation, just enter your CD key and it was done. If you tell Micro$oft that you had to replace your motherboard (or that you replaced your board with a better one), they'll probably give you a new activation. Essentially you ARE doing that, aren't you? You don't plan on running 2 copies of XP, you just want to use the new PC? If so, then it should be fine.

ok well im on a limited budget....limited meaning i have 3 kids and no money lol so i found a hard drive with windows me on it. put it in it works but in the device manager theres an error with the LAN, sound,Floppy disk controler and both ide controllers. lol and the drivers for the board seem to cover winxp....can i get drivers for win ME?

ohhhh ok...so all i do is contact microsoft on their website and ask them to give me a new activation? and then i can put my xp loaded drive in with no disc or do i still need the disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom