Windows xp will NOT start

Status
Not open for further replies.

astosoup

Solid State Member
I recently had an OLD computer but it had been upgraded to windows xp.A friend of mine gave me a much faster (2.66ghz 512 ram) computer with no hard drive. Upon attempting to put my old hard drive in the new computer i found that windows will not start on the new computer or any other computer EXCEPT the one it came out of. It relays an error message A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Then it instructs me to check for viruses or run scan disk etc. which cannot be done because i cant get to windows. If anyone knows how to make it start i would appreciate it!

The old machine is likely running an OEM copy of Windows.

OEM copies of Windows are tied to the motherboard so you cannot use the same copy on a separate machine.

No legimate way, I'm afraid.

You can call Micro$oft and have them reactivate your key so you can reinstall the copy and link it to another motherboard. However, they would not reactivate your copy if you told them you needed to put it on a different computer.

However, if you told them that you just had to replace the motherboard in your machine because the old one broke, they would be cool with that. As long as it was in the same machine...

... too bad that isn't the case...

but oem would mean it came with computer right?? i bought the copy of xp professional like 4 years ago for it it had 98 on it to start with

OEM usually means that it came with the computer. However, it's just as easy for you or me to buy an OEM copy of Windows (and usually much cheaper too). I think Newegg sells more OEM copies of Windows than retail ones.

When you bought your Windows, did it come in a fancy box? Or did you just get a paper sleeve with a Windows disc in it?

Your problem really sounds like an OEM Windows issue... unless something is physically wrong with the computers you're connecting it to.

i dont remember all i remember is i bought it as an "upgrade". it wasnt a FULL version i dont believe

sorry to b a pain with this same dumb prob lol but i put the drive back into the original computer and now all i get after cmos is Non system disk or disk eror, Replace and strike any key when ready......what the heck happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom